Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 27th, 2013 11:00

Alternative Power Button for M2400

I have an M2400 that is running fine with a new SSD but the power button on the laptop no longer works.  If I put it in the docking station I can turn the laptop on and off and even remove it from the docking station and it works.  If it is running and removed from the docking station.  The button will not turn it off.....

Is there any alternative on/off or way to fix the button???????????????????

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 27th, 2013 22:00

Hi jerryyyyy,

I would like to how you are turning on or off the system when the system is connected to the Docking Station. Is the same power button on the system used?

Also check if the power button is stuck by any chance or if there is any physical abuse on the power button.

43 Posts

August 29th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for responding. 

The system can only be turned on or off from the docking station.  If I turn it on in the docking station and remove it properly, the power stays on and it is usuable, but will not power down from the button while out of the station.  Put it back, and the button will power it down. 

Conversely, if it is off out of the docking station, it will not power on.  This is the BIG PROBLEM.  You can always turn it off from the screen without the button.

The button looks normal and undamaged.  I was wondering if there was any system setting that might affect this or a registry setting. 

Otherwise computer is perfect.  We have 3 others of the same age also still working.  These have been great machines. 

Thanks for any ideas.

43 Posts

August 29th, 2013 19:00

PS  I have worked on a lot of D630s and know how to take off the cover etc... is it similar with the M2400??? if so I guess I can check if the internal button is stuck down?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

August 30th, 2013 00:00

Hi jerryyyyy,

Thank for the information. You may try checking if the power button connection is intact. Please find the service manual for M2400.
http://bit.ly/1aQsUYN

Since you are comfortable with removing the replacing parts on D630S, you will be able to work even on M2400.

43 Posts

August 30th, 2013 07:00

Looks pretty simple to remove the LCD cover... is there anything I can do to check the buttons.... guess I will find out when I open it?????

43 Posts

September 1st, 2013 12:00

Took much of the computer apart this AM and found it is very hard to get to that button.  Would probably have to take the display off and that might easily screw up cabling....

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hi jerryyyyy

In this situation I suggest that you take help from a local technician.

43 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 09:00

Well, I tell you there is a ghost in this machine.  I took it out of the docking station and then tried to power it down and the power worked.  I have tried this a lot for the past 6 hours, and it still works.  But then it stopped.  Then I repeated the docking station maneuver and it started working again. 

When it works there is no funny jiggling of the button to get it to work.

It seems to me there is some funny registry/setting somewhere that changes the way the power operates. 

This is way weird.  We have 3 other exact copies of this machine with no problems....

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi jerryyyyy,

I suspect it is a mechanical issue. However to isolate the issue (registry/setting), my suggestion would be to back up the data and restore the system to the factory installed state. Click on the following link for instructions:

http://dell.to/15DfFoj

Revert for further queries.

No Events found!