Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2013 10:00

Another Inspiron 17R SE 7720 with boot problems

Hi,

As the subject reads the 7720 has massive problems booting up if for any reason it gets turned off. I get the Dell logo then it flashes once and stays on a totally back screen.

The only way out of this is keep powering off and on again and hope that at some point it will work. 

I am running the A14 bios. 
I have run pre-boot tests that give no errors.
I have run the diagnostics online that also gave no errors. 

It also means that if there is every a Windows update it has real problems restarting the machine to finalize the update. 

Based on all the other complaints on here I am assuming this is a motherboard issue?

Any support would be welcome. 

• 

3.3K Posts

June 20th, 2013 12:00

Hi Majorscruff,

I appreciate for all the trouble shooting steps tried to resolve the issue.

Please check if the system boots into safe (If the Operating system is Windows 7).  To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys,  select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter.

In case the system has Windows 8 Operating system, refer to the Article 584333 by clicking on the following link:

http://dell.to/13VnxCM

Revert for further queries.

June 20th, 2013 13:00

Hi There,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I am running windows 8, I have already tried out the steps listed in the guide you sent over and recently carried out a factory reset to to avail unfortunately.

I have also changed the settings to the Intel rapid start tech and made sure my version of Windows 8 has the KB2756872 fix.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• 

3.3K Posts

June 21st, 2013 14:00

Hi Majorscruff,

Thank for trying the trouble shootings provided. As the issue is not resolved send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

September 19th, 2013 14:00

Hello Sujatha,

I am having the same issue on my new inspiron 17R SE 7720. After re-booting or starting the pc, after the dell symbol on the screen, the screen goes totally blank (no backlighting, totally dead). I have to hard reset several times and hope for windows to boot (which it does eventually). It looks like a common problem for this model, is there a fix. I've tried updating bios, doing a full factory reset, running the F12 diagnostic at bootup all to no avail.

Can you help?

Best regards,
mark

• 

3.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Mark,

Please try following the steps given below:

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

Please reply, would be glad to assist you further.  

No Events found!