Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 16th, 2009 20:00

Anyone had this happen?

All of a sudden I find myself looking at desktop icons with cones on them.  Yep, looks like construction site cones.  They're not on all my icons but on several.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 17th, 2009 04:00

Time for a thorough malware scan.  Download and install malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.com).

47 Posts

December 17th, 2009 06:00

Even while I was downloading the Malware program the cones began to disappear. 

Found:

37 instances of Adware.MyWebSearch

6 of Rogue.Ascentive

2 Trojan.Vundo 

1 Adware.MakeTheWebBetter

Never used the Malware program before but IT WORKS!  Thanks and may I add you as a friend?

Tom

4 Posts

December 17th, 2009 10:00

Hi RayHab1

Same thing happened to me.  I went to control panel, selected folder options, view options and checked the "Remember Folder Options" box....voila!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 17th, 2009 05:00

Sounds like the icon for VLC Media Player. If you had accidentally messed up your file associations, it could happen.

47 Posts

One other problem for you to mull over.   

Until  very recently, when I maximized a window it remained that way the next time that I opened it.  Now I have to size the window or restore to it's original size every time that I open them.  Is there a way that I can have a window fully maximized, close it, re-open it and have it return to the size that I set it to previously?  It's very frustrating to have to enlarge every window that I open.

Thanks again.

47 Posts

Osprey

Thanks for your input.  Never got a chance to try your suggestion but I do appreciate it.  May I add you as a friend?

Tom

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 17th, 2009 10:00

Hi, Tom:

Wow, glad that got worked out.

I'd be happy to be added to your friends list.

47 Posts

December 17th, 2009 15:00

Wow Royava, you get my Noble prize.  It worked first time.  Same problem with my wife's computer.  I hate it when I can't solve her problems for her.  You know, the whole macho thing.  :emotion-2:

May I add you to my friend list?

Tom

47 Posts

December 17th, 2009 19:00

Oh no!  Windows are now opening small again.  For a little while they worked fine.  Must be something else that I have forgotten to do. 

:emotion-6:

Tom

4 Posts

December 18th, 2009 12:00

Let's try again Tom:

Open control panel
Select Folder Options
Click on "View" tab
Check the box next to "Remember each folder's view settings"

That should do it.

Roy

No Events found!