Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2010 09:00

Anyone ordered a new XPS15 or XPS17 Laptop & got it yet?

Hi,

First post on here.

After my current laptop died (nVidia chip on graphics card parted company with it's board) I needed a fairly high spec laptop relatively quickly & one I could buy now & pay for later.

It is nearly Christmas & cash is tight!

Stumbling accross Dell's website I eventually found the XPS17 Core i7 quad CPU, 6GB DDR3 ram & 3GB  nVidia GT445M graphics card.

Buy now pay later & even E-sign your agreement online.

After an online chat with sales support it was confirmed that custom built laptops are usually 8-10 working days lead time.

All boxes ticked for me there then. This seemed ideail.

However, now one week since ordering, the order is still being processed & the expected deliverery date is 29-11-2010. Double the lead time I was quoted.

Several more online chats, a few calls to customer care & an email & I am still no further on.

Nobody in the customer care department seem to know what is going on & despite being told on 3 occasions (2 before I made the purchase) that I would be called back. Nobody has called.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Right about now I just feel like cancelling my order.

Dell seem to be useless!

Wish I had just waited for MSI's GX660R to be available again in the UK. The should be in stock next week.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little rant. Any comments/thoughts will be much appreciated.:emotion-12:

38 Posts

November 20th, 2010 18:00

I ordered an XPS 15 and got it about a week and a half later. 

2 Posts

November 20th, 2010 19:00

I ordered on 10/26 (xps 15, i7-840, 8GB RAM, TV Tuner, 1080p display, intel 6300 wireless). Original EDD was 11/16, but has been changed to 11/23 (overnight delivery). Its still in production. If another delay is made next week, im canceling my order. I understand supply related delays, however it wouldnt be hard to identify the bottleneck so that the customer could decide if that upgrade is worth the delay. Why not report that to the customer once they decide the delay is inevitable?

23 Posts

November 20th, 2010 20:00

"My XPS-17 was ordered on 10/22/2010, shipped 11/06/2010, and received on 11/10/2010.  I initially configured it online, however I placed the order by phone with a Dell customer representative since I needed to discuss some concerns first.  I have dealt with Dell for over twenty years, always purchsed through a customer representative, and do not remember ever having a problem.

My advice would be to do the same, that is purchase your systems through a customer representative.  That way you have a Dell employee to call in case anything goes awry.  Your representative will do everything possible to ensure you are satisfied, because any problem will reflect back to him/her by name."

This sounds like a nice theory on paper, but that's not how it works at Dell.

The person who takes the order is totally removed from the sale as soon as you hang up the phone after placing the order.  I learned - the hard way - a year ago that there are separate people and "departments" that handle each step of the process from purchase to delivery.  A person taking the sale will never have anything to do with the delivery.  I was told "it's not their job" - it's another department.  The person taking the order - who, if you notice, is always fast and easy to reach - is solely responsible for selling as many computers as they can. That's it.  They don't follow through to make sure the customer actually receives it or is happy - that's another department (which is much tougher to reach). 

Many years ago - about 10 years ago when I bought my first Dell laptop - they had excellent customer service, where the person who took your order actually followed through to the very end to make sure everything was fine. But that changed over the last decade as they cut costs and started contracting out all their customer service overseas.  

10 Posts

November 21st, 2010 04:00

latest from UPS

DUBAI, AE               21/11/2010    13:05 DEPARTURE SCAN
     21/11/2010    11:18 ARRIVAL SCAN
SHANGHAI, CN    21/11/2010     6:30      DEPARTURE SCAN
SHANGHAI, CN    20/11/2010    19:48      EXPORT SCAN
     20/11/2010    19:41         ORIGIN SCAN
CN     20/11/2010     10:16 BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS:  21/11/2010 7:05  ET

my god the dont prat about do they :emotion-3:

28 Posts

November 21st, 2010 06:00

LOL Gawd, you aint wrong. Walsh Western is doing my transfer I believe so I havent got quite a detailed thing of what is occurring with the shipment. Still no more movement today though, still saying it left manu falcility at 16.00 yesterday. No doubt tomorrow it will be on the move to Ireland (I'm sure that's where they go to for UK parcels) then back over the sea to me in London. All in all, a pretty long journey. Not something I'd want to do by boat, me and boats do not get along :emotion-5:

10 Posts

November 21st, 2010 08:00

landed in Koeln (Calogne) at 3.53pm

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 03:00

well they have done it it arrived at 09:45 am this morning infact im on it now

i'm a happy bunny :emotion-2:

WELL DONE DELL!!!!   and 4 days early

31 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 04:00

I have a feeling they finally worked out the glitch on the motherboard and added the necessary Intel piece to make the XPS units share display and send display to your HDTV.  As found on other threads, their internal design engineers were made aware and were working on correcting the design flaw so if anyone finds a problem, go ahead and contact Dell and make sure your unit is fixed!

I am very excited about my unit and can't wait for its arrival.  It is my Christmas gift to myself and I'm sure it's going to be awesome!:emotion-5:

31 Posts

Hank:

Have you encountered issues with your unit?  Have you successfully shared your display with your HDTV?  Tried Netgear Push2TV?  Tried using DLNA or looked into the Intel display sharing?

I have ordered an XPS-17 (on 11-10-10 with an estimated 12-1-10 delivery date) and have been researching the unit on these forums.  Turns out the XPS line isn't living up to expectations or to the promised display sharing on the TV.  I would be interested in hearing your experience on this?

Also I must note that for such a successful computer company, I am surprised at just how clunky their website is.  I know this isn't a support forum but if Dell is smart, their admins should be reading these forums to find problems that require attention.

I am also surprised that I have found NO mention of these video card and Intel compatibility problems haven't been posted on Engadget, Gizmondo, Cnet or Laptop magazine to name a few. 

well they have done it it arrived at 09:45 am this morning infact im on it now

i'm a happy bunny :emotion-2:

WELL DONE DELL!!!!   and 4 days early

CONGRATULATIONS!

Mine has just changed to 'shipped'. Can't track it yet though.

I'll check on the UPS tracking site again tonight.

28 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 06:00

YAY Congrats! Have fun with it. I got an e-mail this morning saying they would be delivering on Weds. Fingers crossed it wont be a wait in all day thing!

23 Posts

November 22nd, 2010 06:00

For those who have received the XPS 15 (L501X) - have you had trouble using Netgear Push2TV?   Mine doesn't work, and I was told it's not compatible.  So, clearly there's a glitch.

Also, what is your start-up time?  Mine is taking 2 minutes and 20 seconds.  Are any of you having the same problem?

28 Posts

November 24th, 2010 14:00

Recieved mine today as promised (on it now) really pleased with it. Was a bit worried when I checked last night and it still hadnt made the dep near me lol Fingers crossed those still waiting get theirs on time.

7 Posts

December 7th, 2010 07:00

I ordered my XPS 15 sometime in October, originally through the website but a rep (Julia) I had been in contact with before completed the order for me the next day as she told me ordering through the website wasn't a good option since there were a few customizations that weren't available but it would let the customer choose it anyway.

I completed my finance application straight away, everything was going fine and my delivery date was set to the 22nd November (about 3 weeks, I wasn't fussed). I would check my order status every day hoping it would come earlier and it would change from "work in progress". It was a few days before the 22nd when I did my daily status check and found the order had been canceled. I was upset that I wasn't even contacted about this, so I went on the support chat and enquired about it. The rep I was connected to looked into it and advised me it had not been canceled, it had just been reprocessed with a different order number by Julia to speed things up and avoid delay. Sure enough, the next morning I email Julia and she sends me another confirmation email with another order number for me to check the status on. Delivery date was then changed to the 13th December. I was very disappointed as I was hoping to have received it by the 7th (today) which is my birthday but I thought "at least it's before Christmas and I will have time off to play around with it when it's delivered".

So today I check the status...still "work in progress" but now the delivery date says the 3RD OF JANUARY NEXT YEAR.

I am so upset, everyone tells me how horrible Dell is but I had no bad experiences when I ordered my Alienware last year. This time I am regretting it. I have to wait til tomorrow morning to speak to someone about why it has been delayed so much. I know this time last year there were major delays in the US with peoples orders and a lot of people got very late Christmas presents because of it. I guess this year it's Australia's turn?

UPDATE: I spoke to Dell today and found out there is a shortage of internal TV tuners which has caused the delay. She said I could either wait for my order next year, have the laptop shipped with an external tuner or cancel the order and redo it without the tuner.

So I've decided to wait...

No Events found!