Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2010 09:00

Anyone ordered a new XPS15 or XPS17 Laptop & got it yet?

Hi,

First post on here.

After my current laptop died (nVidia chip on graphics card parted company with it's board) I needed a fairly high spec laptop relatively quickly & one I could buy now & pay for later.

It is nearly Christmas & cash is tight!

Stumbling accross Dell's website I eventually found the XPS17 Core i7 quad CPU, 6GB DDR3 ram & 3GB  nVidia GT445M graphics card.

Buy now pay later & even E-sign your agreement online.

After an online chat with sales support it was confirmed that custom built laptops are usually 8-10 working days lead time.

All boxes ticked for me there then. This seemed ideail.

However, now one week since ordering, the order is still being processed & the expected deliverery date is 29-11-2010. Double the lead time I was quoted.

Several more online chats, a few calls to customer care & an email & I am still no further on.

Nobody in the customer care department seem to know what is going on & despite being told on 3 occasions (2 before I made the purchase) that I would be called back. Nobody has called.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Right about now I just feel like cancelling my order.

Dell seem to be useless!

Wish I had just waited for MSI's GX660R to be available again in the UK. The should be in stock next week.

Thanks for taking the time to read my little rant. Any comments/thoughts will be much appreciated.:emotion-12:

26 Posts

November 11th, 2010 10:00

I think it is unfair to say Dell are useless.  I think you would agree that they were very good at getting you to make the order.  I bet they even sold you their extended warranty.  God knows I framed mine on the wall.  As to whether or not to cancel your order that all depends on how much you like this forum.  Personally I am haunting the place until they send me a replacement battery.  I think I am going to be here a very long time...

28 Posts

November 13th, 2010 10:00

Hi there, did you get a conformation mail or does it just say 'order processing' when you check on-line? I have the same prob with the 'order processing'  on my tracking page. What is so daft about it is that I have e-signed and I even called finance up to find out if I should call Dell to confirm everything. I was told by finance that I didnt need to call Dell, Dell will just send me the info I need and the pc will be sent. I think I'm just going to wait for now and see if the order actually goes into production next week. If not, I shall be canceling my order and the finance and going elsewhere.

In your case I find it very hard to believe none of the CS team know what is going on. That's just an excuse IMO, as helpful as ever by the looks. Have you asked to speak to a superviser at all? I'm sure I have read one of the many threads on here that someone had simular problems and when they finally got hold of a superviser, they where able to tell them what was going on with the order.

Keep us updated

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 13th, 2010 12:00

This is a user to user forum--not Dell support or customer service. You will not get any replacement anything by posting here. Contact Support directly.  BTW, batteries are not warrantied after the first year no matter how long your extended warranty lasts. They are specifically excluded from extended warranties.

November 14th, 2010 03:00

Hi there, did you get a conformation mail or does it just say 'order processing' when you check on-line? I have the same prob with the 'order processing'  on my tracking page. What is so daft about it is that I have e-signed and I even called finance up to find out if I should call Dell to confirm everything. I was told by finance that I didnt need to call Dell, Dell will just send me the info I need and the pc will be sent. I think I'm just going to wait for now and see if the order actually goes into production next week. If not, I shall be canceling my order and the finance and going elsewhere.

In your case I find it very hard to believe none of the CS team know what is going on. That's just an excuse IMO, as helpful as ever by the looks. Have you asked to speak to a superviser at all? I'm sure I have read one of the many threads on here that someone had simular problems and when they finally got hold of a superviser, they where able to tell them what was going on with the order.

Keep us updated

Thanks for the comments,
The only thing I have received is the order acknowledgement email. My order is still 'processing'.
I clled Dell & was first old the order was on hold as they were waiting for something from Creation Finance.
I called Creation & they told me it was all automatic they were just waiting for Dell to deliver the goods. Dell were not waiting for anything from them. Creation gave me the 'CET' number that should have been issued to Dell once the agreement had been signed.
This is all the confirmation Dell would need to progress my order.
I called Dell again armed with this information & was told they already had the CET number & were not waiting for anything from Creation.
Dell assured me my order would be investigated & someone would definitely call me back within 24-48 hours to explain the current status of my order.
I also emailed customer care at the same time (belt & braces approach).
3 day later & I have received no reply via email or telephone.
I called Dell again on Friday & was told my case had been assigned to someone & once they had some information then I would be called.
I was told it takes 3 days to process the information form Creation once the agreement had bee signed.

I explained it had been more than 3 days but before I could say anything else was told it takes working 3 days to process the information form Creation once the agreement had been signed then, another 3 working days for Dell to process the order.
"Great" I replied.
It has now been 6 business days since the order was placed so that must mean I would be receiving my order confirmation email & firm delivery date at some point today.
Indeed you should receive this today I was told.
Surprisingly nobody called & the email inbox is still empty.
I'll just have to wait until Monday before calling them again.
Finally if you are also thinking about cancelling your order & have used the Creation Finance service. You have 14 working days from signing the agreement in which time you can still cancel with them.
I signed on 04-11-2010 so, I have until 24-11-2010 where I can cancel with Creation & not have to deal with Dell at all. They will do that.
BTW I will get my £49 admin fee refunded as well so I won't lose anything.

28 Posts

November 14th, 2010 06:00

Sounds like the same position I am in also. I never knew it took 6 days all in all though. When I called finance they just said I didn't need to do anything else, Dell would be sending the goods and if I needed a delivery date then to call Dell. I may just give finance a call on Monday and find out the CET number and then e-mail DELL yet again and see what is actually happening. What I find strange is that going by other post I have read from different people, they normally get their 'order confirmed' either straight after or the next day from the 'order acknowledge' e-mail

Thanks for the heads up about the 14 day cancelation, I did already know this though :) I have until next week, well the week after to cancel. My mind is set on if I do not get any joy by the middle of next week I shall be drafting a cancelation letter to CF and getting it posted recorded in time before the 14 days expire. Hopefully next week will be more fruitful for both of us.

In the meantime I think I'll try e-mailing the customer care team as well and see if they know what is happening.
I thought there may of been a way you could pm members on here but it doesn't look so which is a shame. Keep me updated and I'll do the same :)

56 Posts

November 14th, 2010 11:00

I have purchased about 10 computer/laptops from Dell and have always had no major issues with them. You must remember that if you build and order one online that the shipping date is an estimation and sometimes things change to lenthen the build time. Be it financial issues or waiting for parts things can happen.

We all get excited when spending a fairly large sum of money for a computer and want it as soon as possible. If you are looking for immediate satisfaction then go to a box store and purchase one from the shelf. If you want it with software and hardware of your choosing then you have to play the waiting game. On all the systems I have purchased direct from Dell about 80% deliverd before the estimated shipping date and the rest were either on time or were delayed for various reasons.

It is easy to get impatient and excited, but as the saying goes, "all good things come to those who wait".:emotion-5:

November 14th, 2010 13:00

I have purchased about 10 computer/laptops from Dell and have always had no major issues with them. You must remember that if you build and order one online that the shipping date is an estimation and sometimes things change to lenthen the build time. Be it financial issues or waiting for parts things can happen.

We all get excited when spending a fairly large sum of money for a computer and want it as soon as possible. If you are looking for immediate satisfaction then go to a box store and purchase one from the shelf. If you want it with software and hardware of your choosing then you have to play the waiting game. On all the systems I have purchased direct from Dell about 80% deliverd before the estimated shipping date and the rest were either on time or were delayed for various reasons.

It is easy to get impatient and excited, but as the saying goes, "all good things come to those who wait".:emotion-5:

Hi & thanks for your comments,

I totally agree with your response and it is very easy to become over excited.

I could always take a step back & review the situation from another perspective.

However after trawling the net I have found a very large amount of very condemning reviews of Dell's Customer support.

Particularly after placing your order with them & then being given very little or no information for weeks.

I will try & keep an open mind on the situation & wai & see how everything unfolds.

Thanks once again for your thoughts.

147 Posts

November 14th, 2010 15:00

My XPS-17 was ordered on 10/22/2010, shipped 11/06/2010, and received on 11/10/2010.  I initially configured it online, however I placed the order by phone with a Dell customer representative since I needed to discuss some concerns first.  I have dealt with Dell for over twenty years, always purchsed through a customer representative, and do not remember ever having a problem.

My advice would be to do the same, that is purchase your systems through a customer representative.  That way you have a Dell employee to call in case anything goes awry.  Your representative will do everything possible to ensure you are satisfied, because any problem will reflect back to him/her by name.

November 16th, 2010 04:00

I'm in the same boat with a studio 17.

Ordered last monday so this is day 6 (working days) and the order still says " Order processing"   I havent phoned or emailed yet and after reading that you were told it takes 6 days to process i now will wait till tomorrow . But how many times a day am i checking my email ?????? i think im get a obsessive compulsive disorder..

Let me know as soon as your status changes to give us some hope :emotion-42:

Hi,

I have just received an email AND a call from dell confirming the order.

It is now 'Work in progress' which, will then change to 'In production' before being dispatched.

My EDD is still on or before 29-11-2010.

They have just told me to check my account regularly for any changes & have promised to call me again next week with an update.

Wonder if that means that nothing else will now happen for another week or so?

I'm not cynical or anything, honestly. :emotion-2:

10 Posts

November 16th, 2010 04:00

I'm in the same boat with a studio 17.

Ordered last monday so this is day 6 (working days) and the order still says " Order processing"   I havent phoned or emailed yet and after reading that you were told it takes 6 days to process i now will wait till tomorrow . But how many times a day am i checking my email ?????? i think im get a obsessive compulsive disorder..

Let me know as soon as your status changes to give us some hope :emotion-42:

10 Posts

November 16th, 2010 05:00

the plot thickens ...

after posting on here i decided  B0110x  to it and phone dell. got through in under 5 mins and spoke to a guy who said it was a problem with the finance company and he would email them and get back to me with a reason why my order was on hold. I asked if he would like me to contact them and ask what the problem is but he said he would deal with it. So i phoned them anyway and creation told me that there is no problem with my credit and they gave me my CET number.

so i phoned dell back and got through in 3mins a different lady then tells me that its not a problem with Creation but with dells internal finance department and that they are having problems with all Creation Finance orders. They will esclate the order and get back to me within 72 hrs.

Time will tell

28 Posts

November 16th, 2010 05:00

Mine has since changed to 'In Production' so whatever the hold was, it has been delt with. Also recieved an e-mail saying I would get an acknowledgment once it has been shipped. I'll be keeping an eye on the order status page for any changes as well.

@Mat - That could explain the reason for the delays. If noone has been in touch by 72 hours though I'd call them or even go via the chat client on the site.

I found an interesting thread here http://www.notebookforums.com/thread85821.html that details the process of a dell notebook. It's an old thread but I'm sure the process is about the same. Makes for an interesting read :)

10 Posts

November 16th, 2010 06:00

:emotion-6: Wish i had complained sooner now...

oh btw that thread makes very interesting reading thanks

10 Posts

November 16th, 2010 10:00

not out of the woods yet  BUT.... i think someone is listerning. Email tonight at 5.45pm "work in progress" still same Edd 26/11/2010.

Go on Dell restore my faith in human nature and your company

:emotion-5:

38 Posts

November 16th, 2010 20:00

I ordered an XPS 15 on November 8th and got it today. It depends on what parts you configured your system with. I'm also in the US so it's probably different for me. 

No Events found!