Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2011 09:00

Apps Lockup - Unlock with CTRL_ALT_DEL

Hi,

I've posted extensively about my issue to usenet on 12/12/2011, on alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, under the name Boris, subject "OT - Opened Apps Freeze".  I have not yet found a solution, and may never.  Here's the problem:

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, running XPHome, SP3.  (It's now running SP2, after a clean reinstall).  All's been
running fine for a long time, until...

Now, upon each reboot, if I open up any applets or applications, they will open, but will not react to any mouse or touchpad clicks.  For instance, say I reboot,and do Start, Control Panel, the Control Panel will not close by selecting the red x in the upper right hand corner.  It just stays on the screen.  Then, if I launch Word, or Excel, or IE, or anything, once the program or applet is opened, that's all you can do with it.  So I end up with a bunch of opened windowsand I can't operate within them, or close them.  There's no reaction once they are opened.

BUT...

If I then do a CTRL-ALT-DEL (task manager opens coincidentally), everything works as normal.  I can move within what were previously inactive, yet open, programs, and I can close them.  Everything's normal.

The pc will work fine from this point on, until I reboot, and the problem resurfaces.

The problem does not exist in Safe Mode.

I have done the following with no positive results:

1) scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials, 2) avast, including a boot scan, 3) disable all items in system configuration start up tab, 4) repair install of XPHome SP2, 4) reformat/repartition with clean install of XPHome, and install all drivers found on Dell site for I6400, 5) Dell memory test, 6) sfc, 7) reseat memory modules and keyboard, 8) 9) reset BIOS

The problem persists (but not in Safe Mode).

Any ideas?

TIA

December 14th, 2011 20:00

I finally found the ICH-7M chipset on the Intel site, and it was the same version found on the Dell driver site, ver. 7.2.2.1106, so I didn't bother.

Remeber that I got all the drivers from the Dell site?  Well, I remembered that the laptop came with the ResourceCD, that contains drivers, so I thought I'd take a look at it.  It, too, had the same Intel chipset driver, but nonetheless, I thought I'd give it a try.  I made a restore point, and then installed the Intel chipset driver from the ResourceCD.  I kept my fingers crossed that I'd be able to start the machine again.  No luck with the freezing, but the yellow bang cleared up that was next to SM Bus Controller.

Next, I noticed that there was a Synaptics touchpad driver on the ResourceCD (there was none on the Dell driver site, and the touchpad was working anyway).  I tried to install the touchpad driver, but was told that I was not the administrator.  I never create an administrator account, but I did now so that I could install the touchpad driver.  It installed fine.  

I now had three accounts:  1) admin (Administrator) 2) Wife (Computer Administrator, and 3) Guest.  I restarted again, logged on as administrator, and the freezing was fixed.

I shut down.  I restarted, and logged on as Wife, and the freezing was gone!!!

There is one thing different.  The pointer no longer appears during the MicrosoftXP screen, when the blue squares move left to right, but does pop up when the Welcome screen appears.  That's minor.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 14th, 2011 13:00

Seems like a software problem, when doing the clean install. Did you follow my instructions a Clean Install of Windows XP wiki (It is in my wiki list below) or/and do everything in the same order (including Media Direct). Maybe even format with the DBAN.

What programs do you have installed? Have you tried to use it without downloading anything from Usenet for a couple of days.

December 14th, 2011 19:00

I found the driver on the Intel site, and it is ver 7.2.2.1006, that same one I installed from the Dell site.  Still no luck.

December 14th, 2011 19:00

Hi,

Yes, I did the clean install exactly as you describe in your XP wiki.  By the way, that is a great document.

I have no other programs installed.

Yes, I have tried out the system before visiting Usenet (but I'm not sure why you ask this).

What I'm trying to figure out is why I have the yellow mark next to SM Bus Controller in Other Devices, in the Device Manager/Hardware.  I have googled and googled, and I find that this supposedly indicates that I don't have audio/video/networking chipset drivers installed, but I do.

I have a T 2060, 1.6, 2MB, Dual Core Yonoh, C0

TIA

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 15th, 2011 00:00

Right as I have had 2 of these units in the family one that came with XP and one that came with Vista downgraded to XP, upgraded back to Vista and finally upgraded to 7, I have all the drivers for the 3 OS on my external hard drive. I have experienced some problems of late with the drivers and downloads page. Although you got it working, you should check you have everything.

For Windows XP you should have the following going in order:

1. Dell Notebook Software R120775

2. Intel Chipset R114079

3. Ricoh Chipset R141246

4. Intel Video R153830 or ATI Video R128573 or nVidea Video R126007

5. Conexant Modem Driver R114200

6. Conexant Modem Diagnostics R90851

7. Broadcom Ethernet Driver R149798

8. Broadcom Ethernet Diagnostics R150593

9. Wireless Intel PROSET Wireless or Dell Wireless Card R174291

10. Sigmatel Audio R171789

11. Synaptics Touchpad R120179

12. Dell Quickset R180759

13. Dell Bluetooth 350 (R117967 + R129472) or 355 (R127314 + R159805) or no bluetooth card

14. Dell Support Centre

Also if you are careful upgrade the BIOs to A17, you may get this on the drivers and downloads page.

See the Dell BIOs screen to find out what version you have (do not bother if you already have A17).

December 15th, 2011 10:00

Too bad that when I use my service tag, the Dell driver site doesn't list the Synaptics touchpad driver, but is in with the ResourceCD shipped with the machine.  I'm finding that over time, the Dell driver site is detereorating.  I've learned the best thing to do is that after installing an OS, or receiving a new machine, make a copy of C:\dell\drivers, and include a .txt describing what each driver file is for.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 15th, 2011 13:00

Yes I have requested improvements in IdeaStorm and have made some complaints in the Rockstar forum. They made some upgrades recently but it is giving alot of users some issues. My XPS 8300 displays the wrong & incomplete driver set when the Service Tag is input.

With any luck it will be amended and Dell Windows .iso images made available soon.

No Events found!