Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2015 19:00

At start up laptop beeps 7 times

I tried to turn my laptop computer on and the screen won't come on. It just does several intervals of 7 beeps at a time. I really need to know how to fix this. HELP please!!! Summer-Lea

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

March 10th, 2015 01:00

Hi slrivito3,

7 Beeps on startup on a Dell system means a processor failure. I’d suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below and check for issue resolution.

1. Switch off the computer.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
  3. Remove the battery from the computer.
  4. Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
  5. Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to switch on the system.

Please let me know the findings.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

March 10th, 2015 15:00

I'm not the original poster, but the same thing happened with my laptop. I tried what you suggested but there was no change.

I looked up the cost for a replacement motherboard and they're like $150-300. I tried that with my last laptop when it died but the replacement only lasted another month or two. So, I'm not sure if I'll try that route again. Maybe though. In the meantime I got a new desktop - hopefully it will last longer.

For the record, this was an Inspiron 15r 5537, bought a year and 2 weeks ago.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2015 21:00

I tried the directions you emailed me to get my computer started and they did not work. Got anything else up your sleeve? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 21st, 2015 05:00

Seven beeps is either a mainboard or a CPU failure - CPUs very, very, very rarely fail.  The mainboard is the part to replace first.

No Events found!