Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2017 09:00

Attn Dell: You Have a Faulty Bluetooth Driver Posted for the XPS 15 9550

The latest Bluetooth Driver for the Dell XPS 15 9550 has a flaw in the "mup.xml" file. As a result, this driver fails to install. Please note that this driver was released about 2 months ago and I called in and reported the issue to Technical Support but nothing has been done about this. As a result, I'm posting the details here in the hopes that someone from Dell is monitoring this and can do something about this issue.

More Information:

The description of the Driver on your web site is "Dell Wireless 1550/1560/1704/1708/1820A/1830 Bluetooth Driver".  The file name is "Network_Driver_YW21W_WN32_12.0.1.750_A04_01.EXE".

Please note that my particular laptop has the Dell 1830 adapter installed in it. It's possible that this driver may work for the other supported wireless adapters, but if your system has the 1830 adapter in it then the installation will fail with the following error message:

The update installer operation is unsuccessful

At the point of failure the installation log reports the following:

[02/24/17 11:35:55] (MUPXMLParser::GetResultName): *** Vendor Return Code is not found in Mup.xml
[02/24/17 11:35:55] Name of Exit Code:
[02/24/17 11:35:55] (DupAPI::GetReturnCode): *** Unable to find DUP value for:
[02/24/17 11:35:55] Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1)
[02/24/17 11:35:55] Result: FAILURE
[02/24/17 11:36:27] Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\Network_Driver_YW21W_WN32_12.0.1.750_A04_01.txt

Please note that the previous version of this driver had the exact same file name but without the "_01" at the end of the name. That driver works fine but is no longer available for download on your web site. I've extracted the contents of both drivers and it seems that the only file that has changed is the mup.xml file so this seems to confirm that a flaw was introduced in this file.

As a workaround, you can extract the contents of the driver file and then manually install the driver. However, I use a batch file to install all drivers in one shot silently and extracting the driver prevents this from working. As I noted above, I'm lucky that I kept a copy of the previous driver, but I wanted to report this issue as it may cause problems for other people.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 26th, 2017 11:00

Hopefully one of the Dell reps see this thread. Thanks for headups

380 Posts

February 26th, 2017 20:00

I posted this issue over a month ago (en.community.dell.com/.../20002823). It appears that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update updated the driver. When the Dell Update tries to install it, it runs into this and determines that an update is not required. It would be nice if the Dell Update says this.

JohnD

• 

17K Posts

February 28th, 2017 06:00

hsehestedt,

Thanks for letting us know about the driver. I have forwarded this information to the drivers team. 

13 Posts

February 28th, 2017 09:00

Thanks, Jesse. Very glad to hear that someone at Dell is taking note.

13 Posts

April 11th, 2017 00:00

Jesse, I'm revisiting this topic a few months later because nothing has been done several months later.

In my original message above I've clearly noted what the problem is and even identified the problem as being with the XML file included with the driver. It should be child's play to fix the issue from here.

In this case I am fortunate because I still have a copy of the previous driver that works, but the complete and utter lack of addressing this issue by Dell has me concerned because there is now a new problem with a driver that is not as straight forward and my confidence level that this will get resolved is about zero.

Specifically, the latest graphics driver on the Dell XPS 15 9550 causes BSOD reboots every few minutes. Rolling back to the previous version solves that issue, but even with that driver there are multiple issues with Windows 10 Creator's Update (the final released version). My bet is that this doesn't get fixed for many months, if ever.

No Events found!