Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2016 09:00

Audio jack not working Inspirion 13-5378.

I bought the laptop around 3 weeks ago and everything was working fine, up until a few days ago when all of a sudden the audio jack stopped working. When ever i connect a pair of headphones or headsets it doesn't seem to work. I've updated all audio related drivers, tried different headphones and headsets and even performed the dell support assist system scan and still no use. The speakers work just fine.  

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 25th, 2016 05:00

Hello. If possible, switch to the Windows native audio driver. If you have the problem with both the native driver & Realtek driver, then probably a hardware issue.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one.

Or you you could reset the laptop back to the factory configuration. If still having the issue when testing immediately after that, then hardware.

No Events found!