Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2016 11:00

Audio not working on new Dell laptop

I just bought a Dell inspiron 5558 today, with windows 8.1. The laptop seems good, however I am facing 2 major problems.

1) A small cross infront of the audio symbol stating that no output device is installed. Whereas the control panel shows that NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) WDM is installed. So how do I get the audio to work?

2) I see there is an upgrade available for NVIDIA software too, but when I click on it it keeps saying cant connect to NVIDIA, try again later.

PS: The system came with a free upgrade option to Windows 10, would upgrading help? If so, please assist with that.

Thanks in advance!

Ayush

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 12:00

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148687/EN  you bought from a seller who didn't know what he was doing

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 11th, 2016 19:00

A small cross infront of the audio symbol stating that no output device is installed.

Hello. Install the Intel Chipset driver and the Realtek audio driver (for Win 8.1). The chipset driver helps Windows identify the audio hardware on the motherboard.  If the audio doesn't work after installing those drivers then something is wrong either with the audio hardware or the installation of Windows.

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device

That's the HDMI audio driver that would have been installed as part of the graphics driver. It's just for audio going over an HDMI cable.

PS: The system came with a free upgrade option to Windows 10, would upgrading help?

There have been a lot of reports about audio problems with Win10, so I would get the audio working in Win8.1 first before getting the situation muddied with Win10.

January 11th, 2016 19:00

Thanks for your reply!! Funny part was, I bought in online from dell's website!! :-P

No Events found!