Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2013 18:00

Auto-brightness changes driving me insane

I recently purchased a Dell 14z laptop and I'm now seriously considering returning it. The main problem I'm facing is the automatic brightness/contrast adjustments made by the display. This *is not* related to ambient light - in my case, the system changes the screen's brightness/contrast as a result of what appears on the screen.

In my search for a fix, I have done the following:

1. Disabled adaptive brightness in Windows 8 settings.

2. Disabled 'Power Saving Technology' in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. I have also disabled 'Adaptive Contrast Enhancement' in the Media menu of the Control Panel.

3. I have *attempted* to disabled Dell's Intelligent Display technology, but this option is missing from my Quickset menu.

4. Finally, I have looked to disable these changes from within the BIOS.

My efforts haven't come to much. I would be immensely grateful if anyone has any more suggestions; otherwise, I'm sending this laptop back as soon as I can - it's pretty ridiculous that I'm having to fix a new machine within days of getting it (not to mention the fact that it came without drivers for the second graphics card!)

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 04:00

After getting my Mind messed up with DELL TeCh support who didnt even know/understand what actually the Issue/functionality it was, I myself found a solution for me None of the steps over internet worked for me..

This issue of auto brightness adjusting is caused by Dell Intelligent Display ' which is located in your Battery managing window if its not there follow these Steps..

Restart your system

Press F2 on Dell Logo appears.

Goto Boot tab

Select Secure Boot and Disable it and Save and Exit.

Press F12 while Dell logo appears

Check all the options if Secure Boot is Off, it has to be Off. If not toggle it to Off. Save and Exit.

Restart your system-> goto Desktop

Right click on ur battery Icon and open the Battery managing window (where order Battery online appears ..that window)  (not  the Power plans, not the Quickset window, Not the windows mobility center)

Switch to first tab in that window

You will see an option Dell Intelligent Display is now appearing.

Turn that annoyingly useless hidden functionality off and check..

I hope this Work for you guys.. in the favor of Mankind my contribution to the technology..

8 Posts

March 17th, 2013 07:00

Sorry to keep bumping my post, but I've discovered that this is, as I suspected, a software bug.

The adaptive brightness changes can be stopped if I increase the brightness of my laptop to maximum (and then keep it there or bring it down to whatever level I want). If the laptop is then shut down or put to sleep, the problem will return when it is turned on again, and can be 'solved' in the same way.

Really shoddy stuff - the laptop is going back to Dell tomorrow.

8 Posts

March 17th, 2013 07:00

Just an update - the issue remains, even when I boot up in Safe Mode.

9 Posts

May 15th, 2013 22:00

i bought inspiron 14 with Intel graphics  + nvidia.. i have same problem. Can you tell how did you resolved yours. Did they replaced your laptop and if they did, the problem still exists?

8 Posts

May 16th, 2013 04:00

I'm sorry to say that I didn't find a solution, other than the workaround I described above.

I also know that this is a problem affecting all the 14z models, so an exchange won't do you any good.

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 12:00

Thank you so much, nbeankit! I thought that this was a problem I would have to accept, but your solution has worked perfectly.

What a joke that Dell support couldn't help me or you, but hopefully other users will find this thread and the solution that you've provided.

2 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 21:00

Hi man, I need your help!!! I have the same problem and its driving me crazy, but i think i dont have the battery window you talk about in your solution. Can you please send me photos ? I would really appreciate your help. 

No Events found!