Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2011 03:00

BIOS Update Inspiron 1720

I have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium and I wish to upgrade to Windows 7.   The Microsoft Compatibility Test indicated there would be no problem.   However when I tried to install Windows 7 Home Premium it stalled saying I needed to update the BIOS version (A03).   Having checked Dell Support the latest version is A09.   When I try to download it all I get is a Download Manager which tells me there are no files to download.   I believe the file I need is 1702_A09.EXE.   How do I install this BIOS update?

904 Posts

May 18th, 2011 04:00

eusetep

Please download the below BIOS file for your system.

Inspiron 1720 BIOS ZIP

Do let me know if you have any issues, the battery must be charged and connected to the AC adpt during the update.

All open applications have to be closed. Any interruptions during the installation could render the motherboard useless.

8 Posts

May 18th, 2011 05:00

G'day Telson,

You are a gentleman and scholar.   I have upgraded the BIOS.  (I must admit I was sweating blood when you said there was a risk of killing the motherboard!).   I am currently installing Windows 7 and, touch wood, all is running smoothly.   Being an ex POM (Mancunian) if I was over there I'd shout you a pint!

Very grateful, many thanks.

904 Posts

May 28th, 2011 05:00

I am glad it worked out fine. :)

Feel free to use this community for any questions you have.

1 Message

May 29th, 2012 17:00

Hi,

this is a "Me too"

I also need the bios and I tried to download it from Telson A's message but it was  not available

If anybody has a copy they could let me have I'd appreciate it, please

8 Posts

June 4th, 2012 23:00

I don't know if you got my email but I do have a copy.   Let me know how I can get it to you

eusetep

1 Message

July 8th, 2012 16:00

I have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium and I wish to upgrade to Windows 7.   The Microsoft Compatibility Test tells me "Windows 7 cannot be installed on this computer with current system BIOS version: Phonix ROM BIOS Plus Version 1.10 A04." The Test further tells me to contact Dell for a BIOS update, install the update, and start the Windows 7 upgrade again. My question is: What version BIOS do I need, how do I get it, and how do I install it?

ES

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 8th, 2012 16:00

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

8 Posts

July 8th, 2012 18:00

I have tried before to pass on the 1720_A09.zip file to install Windows7 but I have no idea how I can do this.   I am more than happy to make it available to anyone who wants it.   Just tell me how I can make it available.   If you can somehow give me your email address confidentially I will send it to you or how can I put it on these pages!

1 Message

April 5th, 2015 21:00

Can a dell inspiron 1720 be updated for more memory and also too windows 7 from Vista home premium and approximately how much would it cost ?

8 Posts

April 5th, 2015 22:00

I still have the 1720_A09.zip file available for anyone who wants it if I could pass it on!

1 Message

August 31st, 2015 13:00

yes please

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 22:00

I would like very much to have this 1720_A09.zip file.

I too am trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7

Cheers

8 Posts

September 24th, 2015 04:00

G'day KOJAB

Unfortunately I am about to relocate to Queensland and my furniture is about to go into storage, including my desktop which has all my backup files archived.   It will be about 3 months before I get access when I have built my new home.   However, as it is 4 years ago I may have deleted it.   I will post a further reply should you be still interested when I get my desktop up and running and I still have the file.   For interest, I am still running my Inspiron and have just upgraded it to Windows 10 with no problem.

eusetep 

4 Posts

September 24th, 2015 16:00

eusetep

Thanks for your quick reply.  I did a search "1720_A09.EXE"  and found two location and downloaded both. Unfortunately one was 987 KB and the other 988 KB.  I was too afraid to go ahead with bios upgrade not knowing which of the two was legit.

I am in no hurry to do the bios upgrade to A09 as I do have Windows 7 running well,  except for 3 exclamation marks, all "Base System Device" under heading "Other devices".  With no other description I do not know what drivers are missing from my 1720.

I did manage to update my display adapter with the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS driver.

Hope you enjoy your new home and great to learn you are running Windows 10 on your Inspiron.

Cheers

8 Posts

September 24th, 2015 20:00

KOJAB

Would you believe it?   I thought I would, on an off chance, check all my files on my Inspiron (This is the laptop I will be using until we get a permanent address}. I have got it on here!!!!.  I can pop it on a USB stick and send it to you.   By the way it is only 845KB.   "One never checks the obvious!!"

eusetep 

No Events found!