Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 6th, 2010 02:00

BIOS can't detect hard drive anymore

Hi everyone,

yesterday my Dell studio XPS laptop got frozen and after trying everything to unfreeze without any luck I had to do a cold reboot.

Unfortunately it never booted back again. The diagnostic utility says "No hard drive detected" and the BIOS too, no fixed HDD, no e-SATA.

It does beep more than 10 times when I turn it on. I can't boot even with CD, it seems to work initially but then again black screen.

I don't know what to do.. I will probably take it somewhere and ask them to see if my hard drive is still alive - if not it would be really a bad news.

I bought the laptop in february of this year, is still new. Didn't even use it so much. I have both windows 7 and ubuntu installed on it, but this shouldn't relate with the hard drive problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 6th, 2010 03:00

Reseat (remove and reinstall) the drive.  If it's then found, run a diagnostic (F12 at powerup) on it.

If it's not, it's toast.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 6th, 2010 04:00

The hard drive is considered customer-replaceable, so no - you will not.

December 6th, 2010 04:00

If I open the laptop will I invalidate the warranty?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 6th, 2010 09:00

If you're worried about it, let Dell handle the replacement.  They will not, however, assist you in recovering your data.  If you have them dispatch a technician to replace the drive, they will take the old one with them.

Backing up data - or your negligence in failing to do so -- is not Dell's responsibility.

No Events found!