Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2013 06:00

BRIGHTNESS CONTROL ISSUE IN MY DELL INSPIRON 15 3521

When I bought my DELL 3521 some weeks ago, which came with OS Ubuntu, I remember the screen brightness was adjustable by using Fn keys ( F4 / F5).

Since I installed Win7 some days back the screen brightness remain very dull ( may be the lowest setting), which I do not mind for my day to day work. But for my photo and graphic work this intensity is far from satisfactory.

I have checked the internet on this and saw many of you also share the same experience. I followed almost all the advices given in there and since there was no improvement, I downloaded all the drivers from the DELL official website for Win7 and installed them.  Actually then one thing happened, that is now I could see the on-screen brightness and loudness control icons or symbols.  Incindentally the sound (speaker) control works fine (Fn/F10/F11/F12), while the screen brightness indication appears without any response to the keys ( actually it indicates the maximum brightness in the scale and when I try to reduce the scale it reduces by scale/point and stays and would not move any further).  However, this has no change in the brightness of the screen, which as I already told, is low.

I have not yet decided to contact the dealer on this matter which could be a small issue perhaps, which I am uanble to come to terms with yet.

I do not know how to solve this problem. Is this a technical issue or a manufacturing fault? Could anyone help me please. Must be very grateful.

Regards

Gehan Wijesinghe / Sri Lanka

2 Posts

November 11th, 2013 06:00

Sir,

I share the same exact problem as Gehan could you please elaborate pratheesph's solution to me step by step. I would be very gratefull.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2013 09:00

Dear Gkbelwanshi,

I have this exact driver downloaded from internet. But when I intalled it some how it automatically instaled a different version I do not understand what is the problem. Please letme know if you are aware of a solution.
Regards

1 Message

November 18th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. But I followed the post and simply updated the driver (through automatic search and update) and it worked perfectly. I now get the brightness control panel in the Power option.

1 Message

February 6th, 2014 14:00

The solution is very simple...

Because your laptop besides the AMD also has got an HD 4400 Intel integrated videocard, then you just need to download a driver for this.

Itt will solve your problem, just as mine ;)

1 Message

February 7th, 2014 09:00

When I bought my DELL 3537 some weeks ago, which came with OS Ubuntu, I remember the screen brightness was adjustable by using Fn keys ( F4 / F5).

Since I installed Win7 some days back the screen brightness remain very dull ( may be the lowest setting), which I do not mind for my day to day work. But for my photo and graphic work this intensity is far from satisfactory.

I have checked the internet on this and saw many of you also share the same experience. I followed almost all the advices given in there and since there was no improvement, I downloaded all the drivers from the DELL official website for Win7 and installed them.  Actually then one thing happened, that is now I could see the on-screen brightness and loudness control icons or symbols.  Incindentally the sound (speaker) control works fine (Fn/F10/F11/F12), while the screen brightness indication appears without any response to the keys ( actually it indicates the maximum brightness in the scale and when I try to reduce the scale it reduces by scale/point and stays and would not move any further).  However, this has no change in the brightness of the screen, which as I already told, is low.

I have not yet decided to contact the dealer on this matter which could be a small issue perhaps, which I am uanble to come to terms with yet.

I do not know how to solve this problem. Is this a technical issue or a manufacturing fault? Could anyone help me please. Must be very grateful.

1 Message

February 28th, 2014 03:00

Try installing Windows 8 :emotion-1::emotion-21:

1 Message

March 11th, 2014 18:00

I have the same exact problem as the initial poster and this didn't solve the issue.

1 Message

March 25th, 2014 08:00

Hi Harish.. i have similar above said brightness prob. bt in my control panel the screen display above, the screen brightness icon can not apper. the above red circular part is empty,..

plz if u help.

kind regards.. dell dip/ India

5 Posts

June 15th, 2014 07:00

Dear GKBEL,

Even I also have the same problem of brightness control. the video software which you have specified "Video_Driver_DY8P8_WN_8.982.6.0_A02" has 478MB in the dell website.

Please let me know if i download this can be worth to control the brightens?

Due to this brightness issue my eyes are getting so pain please help me on this.

Awaiting you valuable feedback.

Regards,

Ravi

1 Message

August 11th, 2014 22:00

I ran into this same issue just two days ago and found your post after a quick search.

My brightness function keys, F4 and F5 on this Inspiron 15 3571, stopped working. The bar appeared when I hit the key, but the keys would no longer adjust the brightness one way or the other. It did brighten when I went from battery to ac, but even on ac power I was unable to make the function keys adjust brightness or adjust it via the charm bar under settings or make the slider bar under the power settings screen work. All other function keys continued to work as normal.

I'd hoped the answer would be as simple as a "reset brightness to default" or simply shutting down the OS and restarting. And I was right, sort of...

I noticed my brightness function keys became "stuck" after switching out batteries between my 3537 and 5537 Inspiron 15. (One was almost dead and the other fully charged) Somehow it seemed like the OS tried to remember the old brightness adjustment under the battery power setting and didn't know what to do when the fully charged battery replaced the almost dead battery. At any rate, what seemed most logical to me was to do a true shutdown of Windows 8.1 which, from my understanding, doesn't happen with "fast startup" enabled which it is by default.

I researched various fixes and was about to give them a try, but I still thought a true shutdown seemed like the simplest solution and wanted to try that first. But I wasn't able to figure out how to tell if I'd really shutdown the system like it used to do with XP so I figured I'd just do a hard shutdown. I know it isn't good to do because it's hard on the system, but as a Windows user it's sometimes necessary. On my old Latitude D610 with XP Pro and Linux Mint 14 it's as simple as holding down the power button for about 8 seconds, but I'm not sure that really delivers a hard shutdown on these W8 machines anymore. So, I just ran the laptop, unplugged, and on battery power until the laptop actually shut down due to zero charge remaining.

I then plugged in my laptop and started it up. This next part I'll tell you about just in case, though I'm not sure it made any difference in fixing it...

Upon first start-up after the hard shutdown, I pressed the fn+F5 button 10 times while the Dell loading screen was up. The reason for this was to attempt to raise the brightness to the maximum before the OS booted and 10 pushes is the amount of raising the brightness bar from lowest to highest. The reason I think it may not have made any difference though is that I think the multimedia key functions only work in the OS and not before its loaded. Not sure.

I then logged into Windows 8.1 as usual and this time when I hit fn+F4 and fn+F5 they worked again without any problem. I've tested it over and over and they remain unstuck.

I didn't have to reinstall or update my graphics driver or uninstall anything or change anything in the power settings or anywhere else.

Of course, if it continues to get stuck I may have to try reinstalling or updating my graphics driver as well. But, for now, everything is working like new again.

Hope this info may help someone else "stuck" in the same boat. Good luck!

August 15th, 2014 02:00

Dear Sir, 

There is no option for Screen brightness. 

so reply for other option.

Thanks 

Ankit Sirwaliya

September 1st, 2014 02:00

Hi harish. This actually helped after trying umpteen other ways. Thanks a lot.

October 6th, 2014 09:00

this process does not working for my dell inspiron 3245 please suggest me any other way to fix this problem

1 Message

April 18th, 2015 00:00

I have a Dell I 3521 Laptop.

I have recently change OS to Windows-7 32 bit.

Since the brightness functions F4/5 are not working. The laptop is working with full lights only.

Can you suggest solution for this problem?

1 Message

April 29th, 2015 00:00

I had this problem couple of times like you  i tried everything right from restarting system to updating quickset driver. after that I read similar thread on dell forum there one member had suggested to uninstall the integrated graphics driver(In my case it was Intel Graphics Driver 3000)  and reinstall it again. I tried this and it worked for me !!.

No Events found!