Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2010 02:00

Back again with Inspiron 9300--failed drive...again?!?

Laptop was fine this afternoon, so I shut it down to take it to work for a safety meeting.

When I got there, I plugged it in, and attempted to boot it up--went into initial load screen, then to some black screen, and nothing further. Is it dead?

64 Posts

November 18th, 2010 06:00

Not necessarily, although more information would be grateful. When it goes to the black screen does it then start trying to load again ? Do you get a screen with white writing on at all ? If you do have you tried booting into safe mode ? If its just black when it starts to load does hitting f8 bring up options to get into safe mode ?

If you can get into safe mode but still not running windows normally i would try using system restore to take your windows back to a time it was working. What you describe does suggest its an operating system. Although we cannot be sure until we start answer some of these questions.

56 Posts

November 19th, 2010 01:00

Never got anything beyond the black screen. If you hit control-alt-delete, it starts to boot up again, but goes to the black screen anyway. If you choose to start in safe mode, it still goes to the black screen--no writing. It offers me the option of safe mode, and I've gone thru the diagnostics, but haven't come away with anything.

Can an OS crash? That would be a first for me.

Anyway, I've decided to try and re-install the operating system--I fear a virus I'd gotten corrupted the OS, though I don't even know if such a thing is possible. Lost everything, but--after the hdd dying a year ago--haven't kept much on there that wasn't backed up or no big deal to lose.

Will let you know if re-installing the OS does me any good. Thanks for replying!

64 Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

Operating systems can die. It can be hardware related but also the software can become corrupt maybe due to viruses/malware/adware or even third party software or drivers. You can check the hard disk using the dell utility from what i remember. if your not sure there is some information here on running hardware checks using free software - http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideTests.php

No Events found!