Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 12:00

Backlight Keyboard no longer works. Studio XPS 1645

I noticed last week that the back light option on my keyboard no longer functions.

I know the Fn key works on the keyboard as I can perform other Fn+ tasks and I know that the right arrow key (which is the same combo key that controls back-lighting) also functions on it's own.

Aside from normal Windows 7 updates, the only changes to my laptop recently has been flashing to the A07 bios and the new power supply mailed out by Dell.

Am I missing a software option somewhere that defaults my back-lighting to off? Or is it a mistake (or intention) of the A07 bios to disable this feature given the recent power supply throttle issues with this model laptop.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated!

6 Posts

October 29th, 2012 10:00

Re-seating the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the motherboard worked for me.  You need to remove the palmrest to do this.  Instructions are here: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

675 Posts

I have the same problem: for a while it was cutting in and out intermittently, but it's been completely off for a month or more. The Mobility Center settings have no effect. If I should revert back to an old BIOS I'd like to know that...

4 Posts

I'm trying a system restore at the moment to see if its software related but I doubt it very much. It must be a hardware problem. Maybe a lose connection??. Where could we get details of the location on its wiring connection?

4 Posts

October 29th, 2012 11:00

Thanks very much for your reply. Does the back light have a separate ribbon connection or is it combined with the connector for the keyboard itself??. Did you notice it had dislodged before reseating it?

6 Posts

October 29th, 2012 11:00

Sorry, I really can't remember.  I think there were only two ribbon cables going from the keyboard and I re-seated both.

1 Message

August 18th, 2013 19:00

Thank you, thank you!! worked for me, and duh I just saw the little icon on the key =/

1 Message

September 23rd, 2014 04:00

Thanks got the answer!!!

Click on  Windows Mobility Center

Adjust the Keyboard Brightness to a higher level

and your keyboard will be backlit again...

675 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

This will only work if the settings have been accidentally reset.

With my 1645, the backlight failed and needed to be replaced by Dell.

1 Message

October 20th, 2014 11:00

I have had this problem for over a year and tried all of the fixes that are listed here.

I have finally found my problem. The RCA cable had come loose and was not seated.

1.You need to remove your keyboard completely.

2. On the back of the keyboard and fairly central there is a small orange flat cable...this is the RCA cable according to a YouTube clip I watched:

3. Mine was out, I plugged it back in and backlight now works

Hope you have the same success!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burTploIM2U

1 Message

January 6th, 2015 05:00

I have had this problem for over a year and tried all of the fixes that are listed here.

I have finally found my problem. The RCA cable had come loose and was not seated.

1.You need to remove your keyboard completely.

2. On the back of the keyboard and fairly central there is a small orange flat cable...this is the RCA cable according to a YouTube clip I watched:

3. Mine was out, I plugged it back in and backlight now works

Hope you have the same success!

www.youtube.com/watch

I have done all that. Still no light. I have light in the play and sound panel above the keyboard, and I have light in the touch pad buttons. But not in the keyboard. :(

No Events found!