Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2015 17:00

Bad sound quality - Dell Inspiron 15 77537

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7537 i7-4510U, 16.6" Touch. It had Windows 8.1 in it.

It has been working great so far, apart from one BIG problem - the audio playback quality is terrible.

When I try listening to music, I can barely hear any low-ends (or bass). I tried different plugging different equipment - my Sony stereo system, as well as, Beats Pro headphones - both yielded dissapointing results. For example, the same file played on my iPod sounds MUCH better than it does on my new Dell Inspiron. Same goes for playing the same YouTube video on another computer using the same headphones. It seems that every other equipment (another laptop, iPod, iPhone) all sound the same and much better my Inspiron.

The audio drivers are up to date (they were selected automatically based on my model on dell.com). I also tried changing Equalizers on the Realtek sound card settings. I noticed the difference, but all of the options still resulted in a vastly inferior sound quality vs. my older laptop (which I'm pretty sure has default settings, as I never had any problem with audio quality).

Does anyone have any idea how can I fix the issue? I heard Windows 8.1 on some laptops may have some problems with low-end sound, could that be the case? My older laptop also uses Windows 8.1, as does the stationary PC, so I personally doubt it. Is it possible that this could be a manufacturing defect on the sound card?

Any ideas how can I fix the sound quality are much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Marius

P.S. It's my first post here, so please be nice haha. Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 05:00

Hello. Try switching to the Windows native audio driver:

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If there is still no bass then it could be a hardware problem and for that you should contact tech support. Make sure that the eq in your music player (i.e. Windows Media Player) is set to normal. Also when comparing to other playback devices, all of their eq and other enhancements should be set to flat, to try to compare apples to apples as much as possible.

January 3rd, 2015 06:00

Thank you for your reply! It worked!!

Switching to the native Windows driver (called AnvSoft in my system) resulted in me not hearing anything. But then I swithed back to Realtek and, for some magical reason, the sound was great! I could hear the bass and music is finally enjoyable!

Happy New Year!

1 Message

May 25th, 2015 11:00

I made an account just to say thanks

the sound quality was horrible, really horible before. these steps were really easy to follow so thank you very much.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 25th, 2015 18:00

That was very nice of you. Thank you.

1 Message

August 4th, 2015 07:00

Thanks a lot Jimco...u are a genius

1 Message

November 8th, 2015 12:00

thank you! worked well on an Inspiron 7348 i7 which had a vibrato like sound on all frequencies even if all sound effects were turned off. now i have to stop music before plugging or unplugging headphones/speakers to get the change recognized, but the sound improvement is totally worth it.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2016 16:00

Thank you so much. Worked like a charm.

1 Message

February 11th, 2016 20:00

i love you jimco

1 Message

April 16th, 2016 10:00

just registered to say thanks.

i have my dell since 1,5 year almost, just took the chance to find out why its sounds like sh#t ...

the first link was your answer in google, and worked.

now i can enjoy it!

huge credit mate!

1 Message

October 8th, 2016 07:00

Worked like a charm -- thank you Jimco. Dell could not help me with this issue previously, and I had all but given up.. assumed it was a hardware limitation. The Dell Inspiron 15 is a "hypermileager" designed for incredible battery life...knocking out the bass would reduce current draw and extend battery life, so perhaps that was Dell's motivation for this default design feature.

1 Message

December 5th, 2016 08:00

Thanks Jimco it work like magic. I a music producer and my sound was terrible even with usb sound cards.I had to connect bluetooth headphones which is a pain by the way or use my old laptop. Now thanks to you i dont have to do any of that. Thanks alot.

1 Message

December 29th, 2016 11:00

Thank You Jimco!  The sound on my Dell 15 5545 was terrible.  No matter how I adjusted the audio settings, it sounded awful, used a Bluetooth speaker to avoid the built ins. Your fix works great...Thank you again..

2 Posts

January 6th, 2017 03:00

Oh, if this is a permanent fix, I will be back to add my love for you! Hahah

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 00:00

Turing off Dell "Enhanced Audio" did the trick for me.

April 6th, 2017 23:00

This worked like a charm! I have been dealing with these terrible speakers since I got it thinking that this 1,000$ computer just had *** speakers. Thank you so much!

No Events found!