Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2017 15:00

Battery and power problem and laptop won’t come on.

My battery wound up dead after charging a while ago. So, I used the laptop without a battery with it plugged. Then it just shuts off as if it were over heating. Now, it never wants to come on. There are no lights indicating of life or charge and I tried different methods to bring it back to life but none work.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 21st, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

Please list Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, I like to ask a few questions:

Does the indicator (solid green or blue) on the AC adapter light up when plugged into system?

You try connecting the AC adapter into another known-good wall outlet?

Remove the AC adapter,  battery and press the "Power On" button for about 30 seconds?

Check the AC adapter charging port / DC jack on the system to see if it's loose?

AC Adapter Not Powering on the Computer or Charging the ...

The computer is within warranty? How old is the system?

WARRANTY & SUPPORT SERVICES | Dell US

October 27th, 2017 20:00

Okay, I tried a new outlet and it didn’t change anything. The charging port doesn’t look like it’s loose or jiggling around inside.

October 27th, 2017 20:00

The laptop is an Inspiron 15R-5537 running Windows 10.

1.The ac adaptor does light up as a solid color. I have it plugged into an power surge protector and it’s an off brand charger because the original one broke.

2. I haven’t tried plugging the adapter into a different wall outlet.

3. I tried taking the battery and charger out and pressed for 30 seconds. The battery is completely dead and the laptop still wouldn’t come on with adapter plugged in.

4. I’m not sure that the charging port is loose.

5. No, the laptop is not under warranty anymore. I received it in 2014-15.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 28th, 2017 11:00

Verify that the LED on the adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it's not, replace the AC adapter.

If it is on, but the system won't power up, replace the DC jack next:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If that doesn't get the system powered up, then it's the mainboard that's bad.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

No Events found!