Battery drains even when switched off

Hey,

I use Inspiron 15 3542

I have the same problem after I updated the BIOS version to

3442A08.EXE | Windows/DOS (6 MB) BIOS|
Release date 30 Jul 2015
|Last Updated 18 Sep 2015
|Recommended
Mostly the battery drains totally to 0%.
When i try to turn on the computer (after plugging it of course) the button does not regularly work. First I am pusshing it about 8-10 seconds (like forced to shut down).
After that I can open the computer normally. But the battery is totally empty.
Waiting for your prompt answers please...

September 20th, 2015 10:00

I am a bit perplexed in that how do you turn a battery off?

If you are running with an AC Power Adapter then there should be a battery icon in the system tray with a "lightning bolt" to show that it is charging. If the percentage is not increasing (point the arrow on the battery) then it sounds like you need a new battery.

Be advised that aftermarket batteries DO NOT WORK so in necessary buy direct from Dell. They always work.

If you do not the battery in the system go to taskbar and start menu and put a check mark on "show hidden icons." this is under "customize."

Mark

September 20th, 2015 17:00

I have also suffered with this problem.

I think that the fault started due to altering the default settings for the power saving function, what happens when I close the lid etc.

When I returned the default setting the battery now seems to be okay.

However I now have a problem where if I allow the laptop to sleep when on battery power with the lid open it will not wake from sleep. The only way is to force a shutdown by pressing the power button and restart, this is a real pain.

6 Posts

September 21st, 2015 08:00

Hey guys I am also facing the same problem please reply and solve the issue..

2 Posts

September 21st, 2015 09:00

I am also experiencing this problem ever since I updated my BIOS driver.

6 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 03:00

Hey Guys the here is solution for, shutdown problem/ Unable to turn off / Battery drain overnight during shutdown.

I flashed my dell inspiron 15 3842 to the old BIOS.

recently I updated it to A08, and from there problem started.

I flashed back to A02 and everything is normal.

Its great!!!!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 08:00

Another teaching moment. BIOS updates are rarely needed unless they correct a problem you have or support newer hardware you want. Mostly, you get no benefit.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 09:00

Can you explain how this can be done or point us in a direction that explains?

September 22nd, 2015 10:00

Hello and good morning

What do you mean when you state, "BIOS Driver?"

You probably already know but the Basic Input Output System is just what it says. What comes in goes out.

However, I have (4) Bios DVD'S that are to be used by Technicians Only. One of these days I will load one just for kicks. 

Just Flash the BIOS and let the computer do the rest.

Remember to just "keep it simple" and you will have a stable system that YOU control.

I am aghast at some of the post/replies in that they are a waste of time when the solution is so very simple.

If I offend someone then Oh Well.

Mark

September 22nd, 2015 10:00

Hello and good morning.

I cannot believe your comment regarding the BIOS!

One should ALWAYS flash the BIOS when it is updated.

Mark

September 22nd, 2015 11:00

Hello and good morning.

Define "Teaching" for me.

You are leading end users down the wrong path.

Mark

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 19:00

thedukeofwales

You DO NOT HAVE to update the BIOS just because an update is offered. You only need the update if it solves a problem you have. Most updates do not affect most users. You always face the real possibility of bricking a computer with a failed BIOS update. Just go through the forum posts to see how many have had problems.

I have five computers from 2 to 10 years old upgraded to Win 10 so far, and have had NO problems. Only one of these has had a BIOS update, and this was many years ago to correct a faulty fan control program. As Windows 10 installs needed drivers if there is a compatibility problem, I only had to update two drivers, both video..   

2 Posts

November 24th, 2015 14:00

Hi, this might be due to the new update. I also experience similar things and I found this answer hopefully it will works for you:

Search for device manager->system devices-> Intel® management Engine interface-> (right-click) properties-> power management-> uncheck “allow computer to turn off this device to save power”

hopefully it wouldn't drain your battery to 0% when you turn it on.

No Events found!