Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2014 15:00

Battery not charging with power plugged and saying (plugged in, charging)

HI all,

I've got a battery problem on my XPS 15Z. Battery is not charging with power cable connected. The charger is identified by the laptop, the battery icon with plug symbol aside is shown and it refers: " (11% available (plugged in and charging)", however it is not charging!!!).

All configurations are ok, charging configuration is enabled on the Dell Battery Meter, on the bios everything is ok, however the battery apparently is not charging.

This problem started after having a Dell technician at home replacing my LCD (another incredible quality issue which I'd refer in another post). I've realized I was with my battery with 6% even being the power plugged!

I kept the laptop plugged for a full weekend and finally battery increased from 6% to 11% after more than 48h charging and not being used!

No one from Dell Support (Portugal) is able to understand what is going on. The only suspicious I have is if there is any cabling not properly connected or affected by the replacement of the LCD (almost all pieces of the laptop needed to be removed to replace the LCD).

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thank you,

Luis Coutinho

PS: Sorry my English level!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 2nd, 2014 22:00

Hi Luis,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

1. Start the computer by pressing the power button
2. Press the F2 key 2-3 times
3. You will now be on the BIOS screen
4. Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
5. If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
6. Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Please follow further steps from the link below.

http://dell.to/1l109N3

No Events found!