Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2013 02:00

Battery not present error

Hello

I am new on this forum and trying to get support.

I have a dell inspiron mini10v net book. Used different OS like XP, 7 and Ubuntu latest and never had problems at all.

The netbook was not used so much but any time due to a bad experience with another laptop I always charged, worked with netbook and charged it again. What I mean is that I did not work all the time with the netbook plugged in. Last week I had to do a training and needed my netbook with me and knowing that it was not charged too much decided to charge it without switching it on. I noticed that the indication lamp was flashing but thought that this was normal. The day I was on this training wanted to start the netbook but it could not start. I just plug in   the charger and it started normally but I had indication error that the BATTERY IS NOT PRESENT and could not charge nothing.

So this the error I get.

My qusetions:

Is the battery dead?

Is it any problem with motherboard?

Is it any bios problem?

Any help will be appreciated before I spent some 70$ to buy a new battery.

Thank you

September 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi acenaliu,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and please follow the below mentioned steps to isolate the issue.
The battery is present and is fine, below are some steps which will determine the issue with battery or any other hardware.

1. Remove all external peripherals (Printer, USB drives, cables connected) and since nothing’s connected to the computer,
press and hold power button for a minute.
2. Disconnect all peripherals and confirm if system is working fine with AC Adapter only.
3. Check the AC Adapter status in the BIOS; make a note of any error message.
4. Please try doing BIOS Update (the battery should have 40% of charge).
5. Try swapping with a known good battery (If available
)

Please complete these steps and let us know your findings.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Remove the battery and clean the contacts on it and on the system board - if that doesn't get the battery recognized, and there is no other evident problem (such as the system not recognizing the AC adapter), replace the battery.

2 Posts

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

The netbook is working fine with the AC Charger only.

I don't know how to test the battery. But as soon as I put the battery on the indication lamp is flashing white and orange

and I remove battery it stays white but the netbook works fine with charger only.

The new battery costs a lot and I cant find any new battery to test it.

Thank you

September 16th, 2013 07:00

Hi acenaliu,

Thank you for your response and appreciate that you’ve tried a couple of steps.
Please do try the below mentioned steps to check the functionality of the battery

1. Please check the status of AC Adapter on BIOS by tapping the F2 during startup.
2. Also check the status of the Battery on BIOS as mentioned on previous post.
3. We need to check if the AC Adapter and Battery is detected and make a note if in case any error message is displayed
4. Please update the BIOS by clicking on the link below (battery should be charged a minimum of 40%)
http://dell.to/1dFtXxL
5. Type in the Service tag and click on Drivers and downloads and select the operating system and under option BIOS click and download the BIOS on your computer.
6. Restart the computer and let us know if you notice any error messages.

Reply us with your findings.

No Events found!