Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

June 5th, 2012 16:00

Battery plugged in, not charging?

Well, the charger is plugged in, but it says not charging. This has happened twice. I would have thought bad battery or bad charger, except luckily the first time it occured right after buying a new hard drive. I did a hard reset on the battery and that worked.

Now, it has happened again. I tried the regular battery reset, but that did not work. I tried uninstalling device and reinstall..did not work either.

Oddly, what did work was the following:

I had about 38% battery left. I unplugged the power cord from both laptop and wall outlet.

I removed the batter. Computer went dead.

I wiped the battery connectors with a clean cloth several times.

I put the batter back in and turned the laptop on with battery only.

I plugged power cord into side of laptop, then into wall outlet.

Immediately, the laptop began charging again! 

I am not sure why this worked. Maybe some techy out there may know. When I tried the battery reset, I turned the computer off before taking out the battery. Then took it out. Plugged in laptop with power cord and powered it. Then shut down and placed battery in. I turned back on..but nothing...

It may have to do with having the laptop already on when taking out the battery, or placing back the power cord, or could just be the wiping the battery with cloth????

1 Message

August 19th, 2014 07:00

Hi Saharsh,

Thank you so much for this post. 

This resolved the issue on my Dell laptop and is recognizing the adapter now. 

Appreciate the help again! 

Regards,

Ullas Kumar

16 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 05:00

mine's a inspiron 15 bought last February so 18 months old, had it on all fine last night and it decided to stop charging, nothing happend ie movement to break somethiing, I left it overnight and tried a different charger still nothing. I took the battery out and it powered up with the power plugged in, put the battery back in and it's working, well for now, Dell laptops fall apart just after warranty runs out, my screen has a white line running from top to bottom, the case has just cracked and now the charging issue!  This is the second dell I've had that fell apart at about 18 month, can't be a coincidence. 

1 Message

November 8th, 2014 20:00

I have had a "plugged in, not charging" message since the day we took the laptop out of the box.  I got it working temporarily using the method at the bottom, but then it happened again and it didn't work the second time.  I Googled and tried every solution known to man except for anything that involved removing the batery.  My problem with a brand new Dell Inspiron 11 is that taking out the battery involves removing the entire back cover to the laptop.  This exposes everything, which I am uncomfortable doing given it's brand new and under warranty.  So I looked for all solutions that didn't involve removing battery.  Here's what finally worked:

Unplug the charger from the wall and the laptop.  Leave it unplugged until the green LED light on it goes out completely.  Then do the thing where you disable then enable the "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" (instructions below), then plug the charger back into the wall and into the laptop - and I was so happy to see "plugged in, charging"!!  

To disable the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Scroll down through the devices looking in the right column for "batteries".  Find the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and click on it and click Properties, Driver, Disable, then wait 30 seconds and Enable it again.  It's slightly different depending on what version of Windows you have, but you'll get there.

November 14th, 2014 13:00

Dear sir,

very useful information provide by you my problem is fixed ......thank you sir..Rashid

3 Posts

November 16th, 2014 23:00

I have unplugged, removed battery, unistalled the ACI devices, plugged back in, etc.  I have updated the BIOS.  Yet every time I start the laptop with the new battery, I get (at the BIOS) that the battery is not recognized, and therefore will not be charged.  I put the bad battery in, no problem.  But the battery only has 5 minutes of life.   I have verified that the new battery is identical to the old one.  It is OEM. With the new battery, I get 4 ambers, 1 white, 4 ambers, 1 white, etc.  What gives?

3 Posts

November 16th, 2014 23:00

PS ... It is a Dell Inspiron N7010.

January 1st, 2015 11:00

Do you happen to leave your power block plugged in all the time?

1 Message

February 4th, 2015 06:00

i have battery charging problem my laptop's battery suddenly stops charging when it reaches to 34 % 
"there is written that plugged in charging "
but after 34% no more charging plz need help

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 11th, 2015 10:00

Due to the age of this thread I will be locking it.  Ashokin29 if you still require help please make a new post of the problem.  Please include the build of the notebook, the BIOS version, if you are getting any errors regarding the AC adapter or battery, and if you have replaced either. 

Thank You.

TB

2 Posts

May 20th, 2015 15:00

This did the trick!

1 Message

June 9th, 2015 19:00

The problem with your solution is that my Inspirion refuses to run the BIOS update because my battery is at less than 10 percent.  It tells me to charge my battery first.

Well, okay... I can't because I need the update to get my adapter to work again.

July 20th, 2015 08:00

Thank you!!!  Fixed the battery problem!  I was getting worried.

August 6th, 2015 07:00

I've tried downloading the BIOS to fix the plugged in not charging problem, but, it says your AC adapter needs to be plugged in and the battery has to be above 10% and I'm always at 0% please help I really need a fix to this so my battery could work again

1 Message

August 22nd, 2015 01:00

Respected Sir

I had bougth dell laptop last 2 years. model-dell inspiron 5520,os-win-7 home basic 64 bit (services pack-1).I beg to state that fixid battery problem(0% available plugged in,not charging)

so kindly reply me this reason. i'm wait u

sincerly

Prabina Garnayak 

1 Message

August 26th, 2015 18:00

My battery  is 6% and it is not charging although my charger is plugged in.. also my laptop has touch screen.. and the touching screen keeps touch its self. All that just happened today suddenly.

No Events found!