Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2016 11:00

Battery warning

Hi

I have an old Latitude E6230 and has for years been annoyed with the malware Dell ships that pops up the "Your battery is able to charge normally. However it is reaching the end of its usable life" (and similar) warnings. I started getting these messages when I had typically around 7 hours of battery time, the following more severe message when I had 4 hours of battery time, and the "has reached the end of its usable life" when I still could get 2 hours.

This has been reported several times in this forum but the most common solution ("Dell Battery Meter") does not work, instead they have hid the disable option deep in group policies (en.community.dell.com/.../19317355)

So Dell is obviously trying to get me to buy a battery I don't need just to get rid of the annoying popup, and made it very difficult to disable. I.e. it's a malware, and most of all it's highly disrespectful to their customers.

My question is, does Dell still ship this with new computers? The battery has survived the rest of the computer som I'm looking to get a new computer rather than buying a new battery. I will not support this kind of behaviour so I'd like to know if Dell is still an option.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2016 07:00

I'll take that as a yes. Goodbye Dell, it's been a shaky relationship but it has to end here. This is a deal breaker, you can't treat your customers like that.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 25th, 2016 08:00

These days, with most systems having built-in batteries, it's an early warning safety mechanism.  If you've had a Macbook from the last few years, you know that it's common for the batteries to swell up as they near end of life (after about 2-3 years) -- turning a $100 battery replacement into a $350 replacement of the battery, outer case and keyboard.

Macs don't warn you the battery is about to destroy the system - Dells do.  Your call.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2016 12:00

Well, I'm not buying it... If that was the case they should have written that in the warning and if it really was up to me they should have added a "thanks I got it now leave me alone" option to the popup. Now, if you're right, they on one hand say there's no danger with modern batteries since they have so much protection mechanics and at the same time they're trying to force me to replace it for safety reasons...

I suppose they're trying to avoid potential issues with batteries though by trying to force a replacement, while keeping the warning nondescript to avoid panic and bad reputation, while still being able to pull the "we told you so" card if anything would happen. It's still dishonest.

No Events found!