Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2015 01:00

Beeping and Black Screen

Hello, I have a Dell Inspirion Laptop with the service tag, <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>, that shows a black screen only without cursor and beeps 3 times every 2-3 sec. I want to know if there is a solution to this. Thank you.

1.8K Posts

November 30th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Check out this wiki on beep codes for Dell systems.  3 beeps usually represents a failure of the system chipset.  

You don't mention which model of Dell Inspiron laptop you have but you may want to try pulling the battery and ac adapter out of the system then holding down the power button to remove any residual power in the system, and see if that helps.

The other option that might resolve the issue is to pull, or reset, the CMOS battery on your system board.  That is not an easy thing to do and should only be attempted by experienced technicians.   If you tell us what model of laptop you have we can provide you links to the user manuals online, which normally have instructions on how to do repairs.  (You can go to our support site, input your service tag, and once the site redirects you to the pages for your model, find the manuals there as well).

I hope this helps.  If you want more information on how to try to reset that CMOS battery on your system please let us know what model laptop you have.

Todd

No Events found!