Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 10th, 2013 13:00

Beeps when trying to start my Studio 1555

Hey everyone, first time posting here so apologize if there's a certain format to follow when posting that i haven't.

My Studio 1555 is approximately 4 years old (and going strong) until two days ago. Tried starting it up and I got a cycle of 25 "beeps" each one consisting of two low notes and a higher note. after every 5th beep there is a clicking noise coming (i believe) from the harddrive. The beeping noise however seems to be coming from above the HDD, and I've got no clue what this beep code means. My load screen comes up (the Dell splashscreen that is) and as the bar at the bottom is progressing, the beeps are going on. It gets to about 75% and then it freezes until the beeps are done, then it gets to 100%, then i go to a black screen with a cursor blinking at the top left, and nothing happens.

Tried to run diagnostics and it just took me to that blank page. I've read many things from stuck discs in the HDD to fried motherboards to BIOS, but i've got no clue what it is.

Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 10th, 2013 14:00

Hi louka ,

Welcome to the Community.

For various system failures the system is designed to emit specific beep codes which is designated by a number. The beep code signifies the number of beeps that would be emitted. For example beep code 4 represents a series of 4 beeps where

->The delay between each beep will be 300 Ms.
->The delay between each set of beeps is 3 seconds.
->The duration of each single beep is 300 Ms.

Beep Codes
Beep Code Description Failure Coverage
1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure. BIOS Chip Motherboard failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
2 No RAM Detected No Memory Detected
3 Chipset Error (North and South Bridge Chipset DMA/IMR/ Timer Error for Intel platform); Chipset Error Motherboard Failure
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure.
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure.
4 RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure
5 RTC Power Fail. COMS battery failure
6 Video BIOS Test Failure Video card failure
7 CPU Cache test failure (For Intel CPU only) CPU failure
8 LCD LCD failure

As you mentioned that you get click sound after 5 beeps, it may be an issue with the CMOS battery.

Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

March 13th, 2016 10:00

Hi, sad to say I'm having somewhat the same problem, only thing is my Dell Studio 1555 shows a blank and black screen, it beeps 4 times and nothing lights up but the power button. Please help me

No Events found!