Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2012 02:00

Best place to attach an antistatic wrist strap on the Inspiron 1525?

I need to do some cleaning inside my Inspiron 1525 laptop, but can't figure out where I should clip my antistatic wrist strap and mat to avoid ESD. Every guide out there tells me to attach the alligator clips to the unpainted metal on the chassis. However, most of the surfaces on the 1525 appear to be painted metal, no? What's the best place on this model to attach the clips?

Sorry to be bugging you all again so soon!

105 Posts

June 7th, 2012 09:00

Hi mbell1,

As per the service manual to avoid electrostatic discharge, you must ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface, such as a connector on the back of the computer.

It is 1545 and it does not have any connector at the back. So, you can try connectors at the right, ac adapter port or for that matter any other port or connector on the laptop.

As per the dell’s service manual you must take care of these things:

To avoid electrostatic discharge, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface, such as a connector on the back of the computer.

Handle components and cards with care. Do not touch the components or contacts on a card. Hold a card by its edges or by its metal mounting bracket. Hold a component such as a processor by its edges, not by its pins.

When disconnecting a cable, pull on the cable's connector or on its strain-relief loop, not on the cable itself. For cable connectors with locking tabs, press inward on the locking tabs to release the connector. When connecting a cable, ensure that the connectors are correctly oriented and aligned to avoid damage to the connector and/or the connector's pins.

You can use this link for reference:

http://dell.to/KKj28i

Glad to be of assistance.

Ravi Mohindroo

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

No Events found!