Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

2 Posts

December 6th, 2004 13:00

Better than 640X480 X 16 colors on Latitude CPi D233ST

Greeting!

I have a Latitude CPi D233ST which came with Win95. I recently reformatted the disc and installed Win98. I was having trouble getting better resolution than 640X480X16, so I changed the video driver to NeoMagic 2160 and the monitor type to "Dell Super VGA". Still doesn't help. I've been informed that I may need to upgrade the BIOS, which is currently Version A03. I realize this is really old, but I'm not motivated to upgrade unless I'm reasonably sure it will improve the graphics (website pictures look really fuzzy). Does anyone know if a BIOS upgrade will help my resolution?

On a related note, I don't have a diskette drive, so I was planning to create a bootable CD-ROM instead (on another machine) -- can anyone confirm that I should be able to do the flash BIOS upgrade from CD-ROM (instead of diskette). I've already made the setup changes to boot from CD-ROM first, HDD second.

Happy holidays and thanks in advance.
Paul.

December 6th, 2004 14:00

Thanks! That's encouraging ... you wouldn't happen to know which drivers to use, would you? That would be my first choice (rather than playing with the BIOS). I think the NeoMagic adapter driver is the right one, although I'm not certain. By the way, I am refering to the internal LCD. -Paul.

770 Posts

December 6th, 2004 14:00

With the proper drivers,  the "ST" model systems support screen resolution up to 800x600 on the internal LCD panel.  You can still go higher on en external monitor,  but the LCD only goes up to 800x600.  Now,  if you have an "XT" model system,  then its LCD can go up to 1024x768.

4K Posts

December 7th, 2004 03:00

The CP and CPiD both use the Neomagic 2160 and the download makes a Floppy diskette. If you do not have a floppy drive on the laptop, go to a PC with both floppy and CDRW and burn all the files on the floppy to a CDR. then use that as the source for the hardware wizard to pick off the driver for your Display Adapter. 800x600x24 is the best you will get on the 12,1" screen. For your monitor, plug and play monitor is as good as anything for a Laptop Display Panel.
No Events found!