This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

P

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

March 24th, 2008 21:00

Biometiric Fingerprint Scanner

I'm no having much luck with the fingerprint scanner.  I have done the tutorials over and over again to practice consistency.  I get better results if I press incredibly hard while swiping my finger.  Anyone have similar problems and found a resolution?

1 Rookie

• 

119 Posts

Since I have to press so hard to get it to read I faslo ound licking it first makes my finger slide smoother.  But this still doesn't seem to be right to me.

13 Posts

I was having a bit of problems at first, but now, I get it about 90% of the time. Sometimes, it helps if my finger is a bit wet. (I lick it and then scan.)

56 Posts

March 24th, 2008 22:00

I think this is one technology that will need improvement. I gave up on mine and use passwords. Maybe the more expensive Biometric readers are better but what is in my Dell doesn't work well.

18 Posts

March 25th, 2008 01:00

I also had a heck of a time getting it... I wanted to throw the notebook across the room!  Once you do get "four" in a row for set up it gets easier.  It was the "four in a row" that was the hardest...  Now I use it all the time and only get a "red x" very rarely.  If you keep at it - it is a nice feature. 

Sandy

11 Posts

March 29th, 2008 21:00

Same problems here until I licked my finger -- apparently your finger has to be moist or slightly wet for it to work. Once registered, it works every time.

(Until this afternoon - got an error message saying the fingerprint scanner has to be reconnected to the USB port. ??? It is built-in to the palm rest on my XPS M-1330!?!?) 

11 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 02:00

Mine will probably do that come warmer weather. But in cold weather here in the northeast US, my skin gets extremely dry. THat might be why I need to moisten it first.

Then again, I have seen a number of other posts here and elsewhere that claim those users also need to moisten their fingers also. 

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 02:00

It works fine for me. The trick is starting the scan at the first knuckle, pressing the finger flat, and moving it moderately slowly all the way to the tip. I never have to moisten it.
No Events found!