Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2014 22:00

Bios A11 update for Inspiron 7520.

I found the BIOS update for my Inspiron 15R SE 7520 on these pages.

1. http://goo.gl/dQ74hv

2. http://goo.gl/pfQBnn

I am using Windows 8.1 (orignally system was preloaded with Win 8) which is causing a few small problems like the touchpad notification light (enable or disable light-small orange LED) is not working, airplane mode has multiple entries like when Fn+F2 is pressed, airplane mode is enabled but system shows it as disabled.

So does these problems is solved in this BIOS?

Is it safe to update to A11 or is this some kind of beta BIOS?

Please also may I know the overall issues fixed in this BIOS update?

Thank you.

78 Posts

May 5th, 2014 17:00

I don't mean to hijack your post, but I've been struggling with this laptop and its capabilities."mainly dealing with the ATI graphics".

I came across another post, that directed me to your question."Google"

I also found the bios A11 on the dell website, but when i look up or enter in my tag, it only shows the A10 bios update.-Is the A11 bios, not recommended? Why do you think its no longer available when you pick or enter service tag?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-se-7520?driverId=XM6VN

I am wondering if you happen to have used the A11? Did you notice any difference? I notice it says

(((Enhanced ATI VBIOS for new Samsung VRAM.))))

Or maybe anybody reading this, has had the chance to use the bios A11?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

8 Posts

May 14th, 2014 22:00

No, I am not yet using A11. But  about ATI graphics, are you using Win 8.1??

8 Posts

May 15th, 2014 15:00

Actually, I updated my BIOS to A11 yesterday morning. And every thing is working fine. There are no problems (well atleast noticable except the one mentioned earlier, those continued). And the ATI switchable graphics is working good. I play DOTA 2, SpllinterCell, FIFA 14, tASM2, and many of these 'big' graphics games, no problem at all. So its all good with A11 BIOS.

PS My Catalyst Install Manager Version is 8.0.915.0 and

My Catalyst Control Center version is 2013.0819.1344.22803

Hope this helps.

78 Posts

May 7th, 2014 16:00

hello? Anybody?

78 Posts

May 15th, 2014 09:00

Yes....Win 8.1 is not a good choice for the hd 7730m. I have found that most of the stuff that was compatible with windows 7, is not in windows 8.1.

Been fighting trying to get answers on these forums for weeks. I have contacted AMD about the card, and they point there fingers at Dell and Dell Tells me otherwise. 

Using the card for basic computer functions-Is about all your going to get.

Using Card for a hand full of Games-Is a big Maybe.

The only programs I find compatible are programs, I do not care for using with the card. You can't even use the card to watch any BlueRays, or any media that came with the laptop.

It was advertised, as a discrete hd 7730M....Nothing about switchable graphics....OR thats how i seen it advertised???

I was told, that, I was wrong-and i should have done my research.There excuse"difference between discrete and dedicated.....HD 4000 is the dedicated and the HD 7730M is a discrete...And there is NO WAY, to rewrite the Bios to use the HD 7730M.( I really do believe that amd or dell, could rewrite the bios on the card or the board! When looking at the MB alone....You can see that the Card is in-bedded. CPU/HD 4000 has to be added.HD 4000 is apart of the processor.) "But You will lose that argument every-time.. "....They should at least, create software that would help us out????But all outdated....

Dont get me wrong, its a great laptop, but Man, I could have saved money and purchased the one without the discrete graphics. I went all out on this one, because of the HD7730M, ----1080 screen, 1tb drive, Msata 32gb ssd"IRST", and BlueRay Player....

Its a Huge Gamble on any program you purchase to use with the card...30% chance it will be compatible..

I stumbled on your post, when I stumbled onto the A11 Bios"not advertised, when I look up my laptop on Dell"

I seen that A11 is suppose to fix something that has to do with the Cards Samsung Memory??? Was hoping it would help make more things Compatible..

If you want to save some time and arguments-Take a peek at all of my previous Post....I got a little out of hand on the Muxless and Muxed Argument, But I was just a little irritated, about the fact...

Good Luck with your Laptop!!!!

78 Posts

May 15th, 2014 16:00

I might have to give it a try...I hate bios updates on Dell, No way to revert them back if there not a fix.

Did you notice any before and afters? did you get smoother frame-rates? Every game I have played, that are compatible, play great!!! I didn't notice any difference in 7 and 8.1

I to tried every driver I could think of before settling with(with the Card)

2014.0417.2226.38446 CCC 14.4

and

14.10.1006-140417a-171098C

Using Windows 8.1

I found the above CCC 14.4 was the best driver for this card. I got it straight from the AMD site, using there auto detect and install....AMD Fixed this driver for all the Cards like this.>Just need to make sure you get rid of all traces of the older drivers

I really want to try this bios....Is it the Bios in the Link? Can you post back a little later if you notice any differences?

Thanks for the confirmation on the bios Upgrade!!!!

8 Posts

May 16th, 2014 08:00

I think the new BIOS doesn't affect the games in any sort...though there were a few lags today but i am guessing that was bcoz of the new uTorrent version (which may be faulty. It is using large CPU resources).
A11 BIOS is fine. But in any case wait 1 or 2 weeks before updating to A11, for my another post about this BIOS fix.

1 Message

May 26th, 2014 19:00

Dont know what the BIOS changed (i think its just a little fix for the memory gpu voltages)

But the fix for the Touchpad LED can be found here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/be/nl/bedhs1/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-15r-se-7520?driverId=KCKT5&osCode=WB64A&fileId=3371004784&languageCode=NL&categoryId=IN&l=en

78 Posts

May 26th, 2014 22:00

Thanks for the link.

I uninstalled the old driver-restarted the laptop

installed new driver---restarted the laptop

Light works perfect......I don't think the lights worked since I had this thing.....

Thanks for the reply...

September 26th, 2014 11:00

There is a tiny difference of gaming for A11 rather than A10 BIOS.

I test in BF3(Auto, mostly mid + 4AA+4AF+1080p) and Skyrim(all high, 1080p,2x FXAA,2AF).

In BF3 the fps increases from 30-41 to 32-45.

In Skyrim the fps increases from 25-35 to 29-36

However, A11 is not perfect.when I am using an SSD rather than HDD.

When cold boot up(from shutdown not from restart), the computer will enter boot up page and shut down once, and i have to press power button again for second boot up in order to enter windows.

I am using Windows 8.1

here's the BIOS,but you should understand that there's risk to update BIOS

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz8XK0BwCCZBNzVySnJrYlV3VlU&usp=sharing

:)

1 Message

January 21st, 2016 10:00

I'm using windows 10 pro. I have downloaded the bios file 7520A11.exe from dell's site.

I double clicked in the file cliked ok and the PC restarted. 

Then the first screen show a message like "Error: Invalid Firmware Image!!!".

Have you ever experienced something similar?

3 Posts

January 21st, 2016 13:00

Hi,

the installer is made for windows 8 to be precise. Had some troubles here after upgrading the BIOS in 8.1. Got a replacement motherboard and whiped HDD with fresh windows 8 on it.

First upgraded it to the latest BIOS and then to windows 10. Works perfect. Try installing all the latest drivers from dell but dont forget to get the latest AMD and Intel grafics drivers after the ones from Dell..

4 Posts

July 27th, 2016 08:00

Were You able to upgrade the BIOS to A11 version?

I'm asking cause I'm also using Win10 Pro on Inspiron 15R SE 7520 and have been facing problems with AMD HD 7730 drivers.

Currently I have to keep the Display adapter of AMD disabled otherwise the PC keeps on restarting with "thread stuck in device driver error".

The AMD driver version on my system is "15.200.1045.0" and a new version is available on drivers page but the installation of new Driver fails so I was thinking of Upgrading my BIOS as last resort.

3 Posts

July 27th, 2016 17:00

I did the Bios update in win8 but this went fine.

For the display drivers, first get the latest display driver from the Intel website and install & reboot.

Then get the latest driver from AMD, the beta 16. something works fine. Install & reboot. Should work fine then. 

1 Message

March 27th, 2017 15:00

hi everyone,

I wan't to ask you if the problem that someone pointed with windows 10 and the bios update installer is solved so that I can update me laptop...

Does anyone have any idea?

thanks in advance

No Events found!