Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2017 23:00

Black Screen while machine is still running - Dell Inspiron 27 7000

Hi,

I received a Dell Inspiron 27 7000 all-in-one pc early this week. I have used it in the last couple of nights (very light usage). The machine randomly goes black screen quite a few times every day. I can only force shut down the machine in order to reboot when the problem occurs. What's even worse, there are different issues when I try to start it again. Sometimes it complains I am using a non-genuine AC power adapter but of course I am. Other times it just shows different colors in full screen mode. Then the only way to start the machine is by unpluging it from the powerpoint for a few minutes so it somehow restarts from scratch.

Another interesting observable was: When I was doing skype screen sharing with my friend last night, it suddently had the black screen problem. I could still talk to my friend but no longer able to see the screen. Because I was sharing the screen, my friend saw the error message on my screen: Power surge on USB Port. Not sure if it's relevant but I looked it up online . Tried reinstall all the USB controllers but did not help.

I have also done all the windows updates, dell updates, drive updates but the problem remains unfixed.

I am an IT professional so good at troubleshooting most of the problems. This one seems to be a defect in the hardware/drivers.

Can any one please help?
Thank you in advance.

Regards

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 31st, 2017 08:00

Some of the newer systems, such as my XPS 9365 have something called modern standby.  If you are not aware a system will seem to behave strangely.  

To find out if you have it, open an Admin command prompt and type powercfg /a to see if it is capable of normal sleep.  If it says connected standby in the first set of listings, it will behave differently.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2017 06:00

Thank you for your reply.

Here is what I got on my machine:

==============================================

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Hibernate

Hibernation has not been enabled.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup

Hibernation is not available.

===============================================

This should not happen while I was using the pc actively, right? The black screen could go on at any time...

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 1st, 2017 07:00

Then it isn't connected standby.  But it sounds like a video problem.  Have you tried connecting to an external monitor with HDMI?

You might make note of the keystrokes required to reboot or shutdown the system and see if they work when the screen is black.

No errors or warnings in Event Viewer around the time it goes black?

The power supply plug needs to be all the way in.  I was getting a power supply warning on one system when it was just barely out.

Still in warranty, the first 3 weeks or so is important.  Others can probably tell you how long but I would probably start a conversation with the Repair folks.

6 Posts

September 2nd, 2017 01:00

Yes I actually tried before. The second monitor was on a blinking status. It showed black screen for 5 sec followed by correct screen for 1 sec. So wasn't very helpful. It went back to the same problematic process when I used the second monitor to restart windows.

I will start to make a call to the support/repair next Monday because the machine just became useless now....

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2017 06:00

I think if you catch it early enough you might be able to swap the unit for another one.

6 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 18:00

Thank you Saltgrass. I have started the process hopefully get a replacement soon.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2017 16:00

My Inspiron 27 7775 has same issue. Screen goes black at random times, mostly while playing video games, but also while watching Netflix. Talk with Dell tech support 6 times now. Updated drivers twice, reinstalled system once, updated Bios. Still the same problem. They keep I have spent over 20 hours now with tech and customer service to no avail. Just a run around. After owning Dells for 20 years now, I will never again buy or recommend. They wont even let me send it back. When I tried they said they could fix it. Now I have passed the 30 day period they are happy that I have to keep it. Not the company they used to be.

No Events found!