Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2013 08:00

Black Screen with White Dots and Rotating White Cursor

Performed BIOS update from A04, when computer needed to reboot, it also said it was performing updates, which I assumed were window updates.  I left the computer overnight and when  I returned the screen was black with white dots being drawn on screen by a blinking rotating cursor as if it is performing some update.  The screen is filled with:

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

As the cursor rotates several times, it puts another dot on the screen at the location it was rotating.  The cursor rotates using the characters / | \ 

Is this an update being performed or this indicating some boot issue after BIOS update.  I started the BIOS update 20 hours ago.  While I was watching it, it was performing an update 12 out of 20 and it took over 2 hours to get to update 14.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 14:00

Left it overnight again and it still had same issue.  Decided to hit the power button and and hope it would boot up.  When I turned it on, I discovered what the dots were and what it was trying to do.  It was trying to boot using the PXE Intel Boot Agent.  It was requesting an address using a DHCP and the dots was a progress indicator or indicator to let me know it was trying.  Prior to my BIOS update, this timed out when it could not acquire an IP.  I just went into BIOS and removed the option to first try to boot using PXE and made it look at HD first.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 1st, 2013 09:00

GPU needs reflow.:emotion-9:

No Events found!