Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2012 11:00

Black screen "Resuming windows"

I turn on my Dell Inspiron 9400 and it boots (Dell BIOS screen) then goes to a black screen that says "Resuming windows" and "For troubleshooting and advanced startup options for Windows, press F8" with a status bar at the bottom; I press F8 to no avail.  The status bar never moves (at least until the battery runs out).  

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2012 14:00

Hawkdad

Windows may be corrupted on your notebook.  I suggest running Diagnostics to make sure that there is no hardware failing on the notebook.

Start the system holding down the FN key or  tapping the F12 and choose diagnostics.  Allow the basic tests to complete, when they are over the system may ask you to run memory diagnostics, choose no, you should receive a menu, choose run hardware tests, then choose custom tests and them hard drive tests.  Please report back with the results.

If you dont receive any errors, try starting the system tapping F8,  keep tapping it until you receive a menu, from the menu choose safemode and see if you are able to boot to Windows then.

If you are still unable to get to the F8 menu, you may have to consider a manual reinstall of Windows.

support.dell.com/.../document

TB

No Events found!