Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 26th, 2010 20:00

Blank screen on a Inspiron 1525 laptop

The other day I powered up my laptop and the screen remained blank.....my first assumption was the power module was bad or the backlight was burned out. I hooked up an HDMI cable and hooked it up to my TV. It projected the image fine. This led me to believe it was the bulb. If you look real carefully you can see a faint image still on the laptop screen. I was in the process of ordering a new backlight when I had to unplug the power supply and the screen lit up for about 1 second. When I plugged the cord back in it lit up again. Basically every time I plug or unplug the power cord the screen momentarily lights up. I'm holding off on purchasing the bulb. Anyone have any thoughts.....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 27th, 2010 06:00

I would change the inverter first - the board behind the screen.  If that doesn't solve it, then it's the bulb.  However, replacing the bulb is easily the hardest job to do on a notebook computer - the damage potential is very high and the work very involved.  Given the low cost of new screens these days, backlight bulb replacements make less and less sense - a brand new screen is about $100 - about what or less than a shop will charge to replace the bulb.

http://www.screentekinc.com/froogle-series-Dell--Inspiron--1525--15.4--wxga--1_CCFL.shtml

If you decide to replace the bulb, and have never done it before you may want to buy two bulbs -- you will very likely break the first one you try to install.  They are exceedingly fragile.

No Events found!