This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

February 28th, 2008 18:00

Blue Screen - Hardware Malfunction

Inspiron 1720

Vista

2 GB, DDR2, 667MHx 2 Dimm - 160G 5400 RPM SATA hard drive

Not sure of the card, there is an integrated 10/100 network card and modem, Dell wireless 1390 802.11g mini card

I have had the laptop for about 2 months.  The computer will stop and blue screen, with the following error message

HARDWARE MALFUNCTION
CONTACT YOUR HARDWARE VENDOR
SYSTEM HALTED

This has happened about 5 or 6 times.  We call technical support.  With technical support, we have turned the computer off and on again, removed and reseated the battery  (twice), removed and reseated the hard drive (twice), the technician remoted in and deactivated some of the VISTA programs.  I reactivated them and called him back to let him know that was not an option to making the computer work.  The last time the technician return the hard drive back to factory specs and we started all over again.  It worked for about two weeks, but blue screened again.  It now sits at home waiting for a call from a technician.  We are on day 3 of waiting!

When the computer is working, it will often turn itself off and reboot itself.  Just like the blue screen, there isn't a specific thing that you are doing that one could say "oh, it's when you are online or in excel or something."  Both issues are completely random.  I was told that it could be due to dueling anti-virus systems.  The laptop has Norton and we have embarq.  I disabled embarq's anti-virus program.  Still it happened.

Please help.

183 Posts

February 28th, 2008 21:00

I have seen this error in more than one notebook and models , basically it has something to do with expansion cards in your system , anything that is attached to the system board , Wlan mini card , bluetooth chip , memory chips , hdd , i had two cases in which the Wlan card was the bad guy that was causing all this , start with removing this Wlan card and see , actually when it says "Memory parity check error " it's almost always has nothing to do with the memory!!

1 Message

August 13th, 2008 02:00

I am having the same problems (and more) with my Inspiron 1720.  Bought it in November 2007 but didn't really start using it heavily until March 2008 - way after the 21-day warranty was up. 

Get Hardware Malfunction / Call your hardware vendor blue screens all the time.  I've been on the phone (an hour eachtime) with Dell service 10+ times since January 2008 and the year-warranty is over November 2008. 

Service has had me make changes to software, have taken over the laptop remotely, have (twice) sent a tech out to repair the machine, have sent me 2 memory cards so I could put in the cards while they directed me over the phone, and - finally - decided it must not be hardware, it's software - so they had me wipe out the complete system and rebuild.  I really enjoyed that one!

Anyway, within minutes to a few days, every time, I got the blue screen again.  I've asked for a new replacement laptop, hoping they would back up their equipment, but - no, no replacements after 21 days.

I am not a computer geek, I don't know about video cards being reseated or upgrading drivers ... I just want my laptop to work ... normally ... what was offered in the advertising.

EllenMac

64 Posts

August 10th, 2010 05:00

Error often caused by a driver issue

http://www.mypchealth.co.uk/GuideParity.php

November 24th, 2010 21:00

I am having the same problems (and more) with my Inspiron 1720.  Bought it in November 2007 but didn't really start using it heavily until March 2008 - way after the 21-day warranty was up. 

Get Hardware Malfunction / Call your hardware vendor blue screens all the time.  I've been on the phone (an hour eachtime) with Dell service 10+ times since January 2008 and the year-warranty is over November 2008. 

Service has had me make changes to software, have taken over the laptop remotely, have (twice) sent a tech out to repair the machine, have sent me 2 memory cards so I could put in the cards while they directed me over the phone, and - finally - decided it must not be hardware, it's software - so they had me wipe out the complete system and rebuild.  I really enjoyed that one!

Anyway, within minutes to a few days, every time, I got the blue screen again.  I've asked for a new replacement laptop, hoping they would back up their equipment, but - no, no replacements after 21 days.

I am not a computer geek, I don't know about video cards being reseated or upgrading drivers ... I just want my laptop to work ... normally ... what was offered in the advertising.

EllenMac

It's quite useful, This is what I'm looking for, Many thanks to your description!
No Events found!