Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 26th, 2009 08:00

Blue Screen on New XPS 16 (BSOD)

Today I got my new xps 16 Laptop, and at first it was all working fine. I closed the laptop and went upstairs, opened, all still working fine. I then plugged in the internet and windows did 2 updates, McAfee also did an update. I then restarted because of the updates. All was still working fine, then I close the laptop and come back a short time later and open it up.. I see the sign in screen for a second and then I get the blue screen, it restarts goes to a black screen and I select start windows normally and then i can sign in and it is all normal again.

this problem seems to happen everytime I open the screen (went to blue screen once as I closed it). I did try to update the BIOS drivers but the one on Dells website was older then my current one. I have also tried to do a system restore but it couldn't be restored to thepoint I picked.

what should I do??

:(

here is the info:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 1000007e

BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005

BCP2: FFFFF800020943AA

BCP3: FFFFFA600AFEB7D8

BCP4: FFFFFA600AFEB1B0

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082609-04.dmp

C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-53898-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Leo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2635.tmp.version.txt

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 14:00

On 2009/09/02, Microsoft released an updated version of KB973879, and I installed it at that time, but Windows Update still did not expose SP2.  As noted in my original posting, my previous attempts to install SP2 always resulted in a message indicating driver conflicts, and ignoring the conflict left me with no sound after installation.  Consequently, I assumed that the reason Windows Update still did not expose SP2 was due to audio driver incompatibility, but the audio drivers available from Dell were the same as those on my system.  I chose to wait until finally becoming impatient today.  I had just received my free Windows 7 upgrade and felt it likely that the driver issues would still be there; so I may as well try to solve the issue with Vista SP2 first.

Research found KB947821 which is a standalone prerequisite checker for updates, SPs, etc.  It can fix some problems which have occurred.  I downloaded and installed it.  A log is created which shows many items being checked and some being changed or fixed.  Windows Update still did not expose SP2.  I decided to download the standalone SP2 for installation and run it.  It ran successfully with no BSODs, driver conflict warnings, and I do have audio after completion.  No other problems have appeared in the short time since I installed it.  Is KB947821 necessary?  I have no idea, but after over 3 months, I finally have SP2 installed!

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 22:00

I would just like to add my experience:

I started getting BSOD or system freezes  within the 1st month of receiving my XPS 16.

At first it seemed to happen most frequently when I'd rest the laptop on my lap.

I suspected and overheat issue, but it also occurred less frequently when laying on a hard surface.

After a couple of months the Dell Dock started failing to startup and no matter what I tried I could NOT get Dell Dock to load.

Now nearly a year later, I have had NO freezes or BSOD until today .. just 2 days after I had a Dell Tech reinstall Dell Dock.

So in my case there seems to be a strong correlation to Dell Dock .. so I will likely uninstall it and find a better alternative.

3 Posts

March 4th, 2011 06:00

If your going to get a new dock, I HIGHLY suggest using Rocketdock. http://rocketdock.com/ It's free, has hundred of mods, and just plain works. Good luck.

No Events found!