Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2017 12:00

Bluetooth Device Not available in Setup M6700 Co Vet RED

Hi, I can't see and configure bluetooth, as I can't see, Bluetooth in Setup and it says that, there is no bluetooth device.

What is the problem. I have updated Bios to A18 and system to Windows 10.

I can't believe that, this system does not have a Bluetooth. Please help

October 4th, 2017 13:00

Actually, I did the fresh Windows 10 Installation. I can't see bluetooth in Setup, through there is a Bluetooth LED near to Wireless LED and Battery charging on the Laptop.

I am sure every Laptop after 2011 had the Bluetooth device integrated. Not sure, how do I solve the problem.

Guys.. Please let me know, how to resolve this issue. Dell, if you are listening, please help

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 4th, 2017 13:00

It might not; the M6700 is pretty old.  Check Device Manager to see if you have anything listed under Bluetooth Devices or any unknown devices that could potentially be the Bluetooth card.  If nothing shows up there, I remember some systems around that time had Quickset disable the Bluetooth card by completely shutting the card off, and if you wiped the OS while the card was in that state, it wouldn't be found when the OS was reinstalled, so Dell had to release a "BT ON" utility to fix that -- but I don't know if the M6700 works that way.  But first, go into your BIOS setup and look for a page that shows the hardware installed in the system to confirm that there is in fact a Bluetooth card installed.

October 4th, 2017 14:00

Thanks buddy and let me see, what is the best options for me.

Thanks once again for your support

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

In addition to the above, if you turn out NOT to have that Bluetooth card installed, here's a link to buy that Dell Wireless 380 Bluetooth 4.0 card on eBay for $10: www.ebay.com/.../271513100751

If you go that route, make sure that the Bluetooth card area has antennas available to connect to that card you'd be installing, otherwise it won't work well.  If it doesn't, you can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter that's small enough to barely stick out of a port.  The M6700 has plenty of USB ports, after all.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

I just found the M6700 datasheet and looked at the manual.  The manual indicates that Bluetooth is a separate card on that system, not integrated, and the datasheet lists that Bluetooth card as an option: www.dell.com/.../dell_precision_m6700_spec_sheet_new.pdf

So unless that Bluetooth LED you're mentioning is actually lit up, the fact that it exists as part of the M6700 chassis does not mean that your particular unit has it installed.  Once again though, you can try checking the BIOS for your system summary, which should list the Bluetooth card as installed if it's there -- or you can physically open your M6700 to see if there's a Bluetooth card installed where the Service Manual says it would be.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Actually, one final option.  If you don't have antennas in the Bluetooth bay and you don't want to go with a USB version, buy a WiFi+BT combo card.  That way you'll be able to use your WiFi antennas for Bluetooth, which newer systems do anyway, and you'll also get an upgrade to 802.11ac WiFi.  The Intel 7260 is the newest and in my opinion best WiFi+BT combo card that is available in the Mini-PCIe card form factor that the M6700 requires, and you can find those on Amazon and eBay for about $25.  Just make sure you buy the right version, because the 7260 is ALSO available as an M.2 card, which would not work in the M6700.  Note that the 7260 only uses 2 antennas, so if your M6700 has 3 antennas routed to the WiFi card area, just wrap some tape around the unused connector to make sure it doesn't create any electrical problems in there.  It doesn't matter which 2 antennas you use out of the 3 available; they're all the same.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Even better: Turns out Amazon has a 7260 in mPCIe format: www.amazon.com/.../

No Events found!