Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2015 08:00

Boot M6800 from eSATA

We have many Precision laptops and use WinPE and Ghost booted from an eSATA drive to image them before a testing task.

The issue is that the new M6800 laptops hang at the Intel OROM screen if an eSATA drive is present and therefore we can't use our normal process to image these laptops.

Is booting from the eSATA port on the M6800 supported?

Is this a known problem? and are there any work arounds?

The BIOS is at version A13 and wWe have the latest updates/drivers install in WinPE although Windows isn't relelvant at this stage of the boot.

Booting from a Flash drive wirks as expected.

Regards,

JW

5 Posts

November 13th, 2015 06:00

Hello Dell,

Really disappointed that no one has replied to this.  The BIOS has been update twice and now our laptops have BIOS A15 but still, if an ESATA drive is present on switch on then booting hangs at the Intel Storage OROM screen.

The drive summary is present and I can see the 3 drives detected, 2 x internal and the external ESATA but the drive light is constant on until I turn off the external Lacie drive on the ESATA port.  To boot from here, I have to reset (Ctrl + Alt + Del) or fat finger.

Booting the same Lacie from USB on the M6800 works and booting the Lacie from ESATA on our Precision M6700 works, so it is definitely the OROM on the M6800.

Any fix or workaround known for this issue?

Regards,

John Whittingham

No Events found!