Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2009 15:00

Boot from External DVD RW

Hi all!
I bought new LG External Super Multi DVD Rewriter (Model GP08LU11) because the internal one is not working properly. Now I want to boot Windows 7 DVD from the external device but there is no option! There is only 3 options:
1 - Internal HDD
2 - CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
3 - Onboard NIC

I have Dell XPS M1530 and I update my BIOS with the last version A12 !!! When I connect the device in the notebook works fine - I can read and write DVDs! But I have no luck when I'm trying to boot the DVD - the device is not listed like a boot option!

I have no problems with others notebooks and desktops! Can someone help me please? :emotion-42:

1 Message

March 24th, 2013 11:00

For Dell XPS M1530:

Connect your external dvd drive and start your computer.

Press F2 to enter your Bios. Then lookup : On Board Devices\Module bay device. Make it Off. Save and Exit the Bios. Your computer will boot on your external DVD drive

468 Posts

November 24th, 2009 15:00

Hello! The BIOS may not be reading your external dvd drive as accessable as a boot device, unlike a jump/flash drive would be.  I am unsure how to make it bootable BUT there is a trick you can do if you dont get the answer you seek and still want to install windows 7.  First, find a computer with a working dvd drive.  Then get a flash drive, approx 4Gigs should work.  Then copy everything from the windows 7 DVD to the flash drive and boot the flash drive.  I've done this and it should work just like a normal bootable dvd. 

I'm sorry i dont have a full answer for your dvd drive... I am not sure why it wouldn't work as you did allow for booting from USB, however it could be something in the external dvd drive properties that is preventing it or just not being recognized as bootable in that fashion.

3 Posts

November 24th, 2009 16:00

Thanks for the fast answer! But I need this device bootable beacuse I want to use it with Mac OS X also and probably Linux. And... it won't work "copy - paste" command for the flash drive because there is a few steps before that! I did that before and don't know how to do that with Mac OS. Anyway - thanks for the advice but the problem still need to be solve!!!

4 Posts

February 17th, 2010 04:00

Hello;

I have exactly the some problem, so do you have success to boot from your LG external dvd or not yet ?

Waiting your answer man ... Thanks

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 17th, 2010 06:00

Hello;

I have exactly the some problem, so do you have success to boot from your LG external dvd or not yet ?

Waiting your answer man ... Thanks

Have you tried the above suggestion about copying the files to a USB flash drive?  They are not expensive. This week Staples has a Sandisk 8GB for $15 + tax.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2010 07:00

Booting from usb works fine, but i need booting from DVD drive, i use some booting cds likes knopix or some patchs from Dell, so using the usb key is not so practical.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

I can boot into Ubuntu from USB flash. I have Ubuntu 9.10 on a USB flash drive.

It looks like this particular laptop is problematic.

By the way, this thread was started in the PowerEdge BIOS/Firmware forum which really isn't the right place for this topic.

You might want to start your own thread in the right message board.

3 Posts

Hi all
Sorry I can not find solution of the problem. I contacted with Dell Call Center and they failed to do anything about it. USB works fine, but I must boot from DVD. Any suggestions???

4 Posts

February 18th, 2010 02:00

Its a real problem for me; i hope to find a solution asap.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 18th, 2010 06:00

I think you two will be waiting for quite some time since it looks to be a BIOS issue, and the BIOS currently doesn't appear to support booting from USB DVD drive.

If you want read up on Microsoft's info on this  http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/usb-boot.mspx

2 Posts

January 4th, 2012 06:00

Even I have the same problem. I brought lenovo usb dvd drive, and now its not detected during booting. DELL PLEASE HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM.

95 Posts

October 21st, 2013 17:00

1st thing i would do is disable the onboard dvd...then try it again... even though i have a burner i would like to ask you how you like the LG external

14 Posts

October 21st, 2013 17:00

I followed Samassi's instructions above and my Dell XPS M1530 still opens the already installed Windows 7 normally. I want to reformat the hard drive but the modular DVD  drive is broken and removed from the machine. I have an external Samsung Optical Drive and want to boot from a Windows 7 disc to reformat and install.

So, as I say, I followed the advice above, pressed F2 and caused NO to be highlighted in grey for Onboard Devices > Modular Bay Device. Esc to exit and save. In Boot  Sequence, I have External USB Storage Device in the #1 top slot.

Windows boots normally and does not boot from the USB external optical drive. The optical drive is plugged into one of the two USB ports on the left side of the machine.  There's one on the right. Does my choice of which one to use matter?  I also have a USB keyboard attached because the laptop keyboard has  non-functional  keys.

A12 BIOS Revision.

Is there anything else I can try?

edit: USB Emulation Enabled, Modular Bay OFF, USB Storage Device in #1 Boot Sequence.

14 Posts

October 21st, 2013 18:00

I switched to "Module Bay OFF" if that's what you mean by disable onboard DVD.

It's not LG, it's Samsung, about three years old and works fine. Model SE-8084.

January 20th, 2015 00:00

thanks! it work.

no need flash drive or to update bios

No Events found!