Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2015 13:00

Boot problem

Good day forum

I'm getting that problem where my laptop is booting but only to the screen where i usually input my password.

On that screen there is only a cursor(movable). CTRL+ALT+DEL isn't working. 

Ran a diagnostic and got back s/n-s2wdraj4 status =7

I'm sure this happened to me before but I can't remember how i got trough it.

Please help! Thanks. 

1.2K Posts

June 4th, 2015 20:00

Hi ,

Good day ! Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum .

On startup if the system comes passes the Dell logo then it is certain that the system POST'S fine .When it stops on  the control+Alt+Del  screen then I suspect its a software issue . I would ask you to confirm if any changes (software/hardware ) were made to the system recently .

Also try getting to the advanced boot options screen by tapping the F8 key on startup and then choose  last known good configuration ,this will roll back windows settings to the last point the system was working fine before the changes were made  .If this fails then would request you to choose Safe mode with networking ,listed under advanced boot options .When working in Safe mode with networking the system uses minimal graphics and software .

If the system works fine in safe mode then its confirmed its a software issue and would recommend you to backup data then reinstall operating system on the machine .

I hope this helps .

Kindest Regards  ,

No Events found!