Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2012 19:00

Brand New Dell XPS 15 L502x - Randomly shutting down, and not performing simple tasks.

I am really frustrated with this brand new Dell XPS L502x... I have only used it: 19 minutes 26 seconds and I received it 2 days ago. The problem is that whenever I try to use it for even browsing the internet it will randomly shut down everytime I have tried to use it. After it shuts down I feel the bottom of the unit and it becomes extremely hot even though I have placed it on a hard smooth surface, not to mention having a 9 cell battery on it increasing the clearance off the table. The problem is so bad that this forum post is being made from a desktop computer. I would really like to know if anyone has had this problem, or has a permanent solution to this problem.

Also adding insult to injury, this is my first Dell product, I must say I am undeniably very dissatisfied with this first investment. As my $300 handheld is performing better than this "...High-Performance XPS (laptop)..." For the high ticket price of $1000 I would expect much better from their performance line of laptops. Dell you really let me down....

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 1st, 2012 04:00

Hi DuGii0,

Welcome to the Community,

Try updating the BIOS using the link below :

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Note:Make sure the charger is connected to the system and battery has a minimum 50% charge while updating the BIOS.

Let me know if updating BIOS fixes the problem.

Thank You

8 Posts

June 1st, 2012 08:00

What i would suggest is try placing your hand on corner left air vent to see if your fan is actually working or not.
If not then just open the back memory panel which comes with 3 silver screws and see if the connector is connected.
If yes then call dell else just connect the white connector and your good to go

1 Message

April 26th, 2013 04:00

Hi DuGii0, I am totally on the same page. I am really disappointed with my Dell XPS L502x, core i7 2630QM, 8GB, 2GB dedicated graphics. Its performance is even worse then a pentium 4. It shuts down after booting within 2 mins. The fan is working and the machine is not hot. Dont know why its behaving like this. Also the I/O is really bad. If you found any solution to your problem please please share. The only option I am left with now is to get ride of this machine. It seems as if its not worth the effort.

1.3K Posts

May 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi HumayunFaiz,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly perform a diagnostics on the system and let us know the results.

Kindly find the steps below to perform the Hardware diagnostics.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer , At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear. At the one time boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics. If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

1 Message

November 28th, 2013 03:00

I had the same problem with my XPS18:

It is the power supply!

Light is "on" in the connector, but it cannot provide enough power. Caused the same symptoms: ramdom shut downs, shutdown after booting up in 2 seconds etc etc

Clears diagnostic fine, but there is text saying  "no power supply detected"  When tested with universal meter it even measures 19 volts when not under load!

Apparently the powersupply has some digital gimmecry and it can do this.

Hope his helps.

No Events found!