Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2013 04:00

Brand new Dell Inspiron won't shut down

I just bought an Inspiron 15R SE (Inspiron 7520 Base, Windows 8 64bit) and I'm already running into difficulties. It won't shut down! Whenever I tell it to shut down, windows remains open... and when I try to run anything from then on it crashes. It's not a matter of waiting for it to shut down either, as I left it on overnight and it was still running in the morning. The only way I can turn it off is to hold down the power button... and I know that's not good for it.

I can't imagine the system is overly busy as I have just 5 programmes on it so far: Firefox, Google Chrome, Steam, TF2, and Spotify.

I'm not a happy bunny.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 20th, 2013 06:00

Hi TeeJango,

It can be frustrating when the laptop fails to shutdown.  Please follow the steps provided below that can fix the issue:

1. Move the cursor to the top right corner to open the Charms bar.
2. Click on the “Search” icon and click on “Settings”.
3. Type “Power” in the Settings Search field without quotes and click on “Change what the power buttons do”.
4. Now scroll down to bottom and you'll see "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" option in the Shutdown settings section.
5. Disable the option by unchecking the checkbox and then click on "Save Changes" button.
6. Restart your laptop and check if shuts down properly.

Please let me know about your findings and if you need further assistance.

13 Posts

March 20th, 2013 04:00

I've read it's a known system problem or not a problem according to what your philosophy is.  Electrical components are not like human neurons that need rest.  The do more good on than off.  Why do you think its so odd the way they've hid the power button in windows 8.  Something about the hibernation mode.  You need to turn that off so it's more likely to shut completely off.  I leave mine on and only restart for program installations and updates. I work in a hospital.  I know some of the monitors have never been turn off for years.   Not the best answer but, its the middle of the morning and I am bored. OH. so no worries about it..

2 Posts

March 20th, 2013 11:00

Great! That worked.

Thanks Rajath!

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 21st, 2013 02:00

Hi TeeJango,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I am glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

June 24th, 2013 13:00

i am nt able to shut down my laptop even after pressing the power vbutton for 10-20 seconds

what to do?

June 24th, 2013 13:00

i am nt able to shut down my laptop even after pressing the power button for 10-20 seconds

what to do?

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 24th, 2013 17:00

Hi aditikaushal,

Request you to try following the below steps:

(1) Remove the battery and the AC Adaptor. This will hard shut down the computer.

(2) Also make sure all other external peripherals like flash drives are removed.

(3) Press and hold the power button for 30sec, it releases the static on the computer (if any).

(4) Put back the battery and plug in the charger. Let the computer charge for some time.

(5) Now turn on the computer.

You may use the below link, update BIOS and video drivers by selecting the right system model along with operating system:

http://dell.to/11WPbwe

If you have any other questions do reply to the same thread.

August 8th, 2013 10:00

I have dell inspiron  N5050 running on windows 7 , the problem is that when i shut down the it shuts down normally the screen goes black but the power light is  still on and the fans are still running. I need to keep pressing the power button till it shuts. how can i fix this??

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi ibrahim1995,

Try the following steps.

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10-20 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and check

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

Please share the findings.

August 8th, 2013 13:00

I did the draing of the battery and it didn't work, i did the diagnosis and there are no problems

August 9th, 2013 01:00

I did the draing of the battery and it didn't work, i did the diagnosis and there are no problems. what should i do know?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 9th, 2013 15:00

Hi ibrahim1995,

Thank you for the response. I would suggest you to update the BIOS of the computer from the following link http://dell.to/18hMevw.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged.
*Battery charger should be connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please share the findings.

August 10th, 2013 15:00

the problem is still there

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 12th, 2013 17:00

Hi ibrahim1995,

Thank you for the response. Let's try booting into Safe Mode. Power off the computer -> Restart the computer, tap F8 on Dell logo 2-3 times -> This will take you to ‘Windows Advanced Boot Options’ -> Choose ‘Safe Mode’ in the Advanced Boot menu (use ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow keys to highlight the option, press ‘enter’ to select) -> When Windows finishes loading in Safe mode, try to shut the computer down and check if the light on the power button and the fan turn off or remains on.

August 17th, 2013 13:00

the laptop freezes when i shut it down on . It freezes on the  blue screen written on it shut down

No Events found!