Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2012 09:00

Brand new Laptop freezes at login menu

Hi i bought a brand new dell inspiron Q15R laptop on saturday and this morning i turned it on went on it downloaded avg security And switched it off. Later on today i switched it on and it would load upto the login screen then freeze so i restarted it again in safe mode and i dont know what to do Or how to fix it these are the full spec details. Dell Q15R 4gb ram 500gb hard drive Intel i5 proccessor Windows home premium Please help me A.S.A.P

1.1K Posts

Hi deltop246,

I will suggest you to run the diagnostics on your system to check the hardware functionality. Below are the steps:

• Restart your system and keep tapping “F12” as soon as the Dell logo appears.
  • Highlight “Diagnostics” using up and down arrow keys and press enter.
  • The diagnostics should initiate.
  • It will show up color bars. Press “Y” key to continue.
  • If the diagnostics fail, it will give an error code.
  • If the diagnostics pass, it will ask you “Do you want to run the remaining memory test”. Press “N”.

Please let me know the error code, if you get any.

Please check and let me know if your system works fine in 'Safe Mode with Networking'. If so, perform a system restore:

Note: Please save all your data before performing system restore as your system will restart automatically. It will not delete any files stored on the system.

• Click on 'Start' and type in the search box 'System Restore'.
  • Click on system restore in the search list.
  • Select a restore date when your system was working fine and perform the system restore following the on screen instructions.

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

96 Posts

try while in safe mode delete AVG and see if that was the problem

1.1K Posts

October 1st, 2012 06:00

Hi deltop246,

Thank you for adding me as a friend. Since you mentioned in the private message that your system is working fine in 'Safe mode', have you performed a system restore or deleted AVG and checked if the system is working fine in the normal mode?

No Events found!