Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2011 08:00

Broadcom 5784 Jumbo MTU setting of 9000 stops sleep and hibernate on Studio XPS 160 with Win7 SP1 x64

Recently I found that one of my 1640s wouldnt enter hibernate having done so previously. Since last used some changes had been made including Win7 SP1 and so the culprit was uncertain. To solve this I ended up disabling pretty much everything non-essential in Device Manager, getting hibernate back, and then re-enabling things until I broke hibernate again.

After many restarts, I narrowed it down to the Broadcom Gigabit ethernet card. However, this already had the latest drivers installed and had worked. Uninstalling and reinstalling did however fix the problem until I played with the settings. Turned out that setting Jumbo MTU to 9000 (I had tried this as its a small local network with gigabit switches) was the culprit. Putting this back to 1500, which is what it was until recently, fixed the problem.

Hope that helps someone....

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 16th, 2011 09:00

Archway

Alot of commercial internet providers doens't support Jumbo Frames.  Did you notice the problem while connected to the network with the gygabit switches? Or only on other networks?  It is interesting though that the setting kept the system from entering  hybernation.  I certainly appreciate the heads up.

TB

25 Posts

March 16th, 2011 10:00

I didn't specifically test and so dont recall whether this only occurred while connected but everything on my home LAN should work with jumbo frames. If I remember correctly I did of the settings testing with the LAN cable unplugged, in which case the problem occurred in a disconnected machine.

No Events found!