Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2016 14:00

Broken AC Charger

I have been having problems with my charger for months, where it would only charge my computer if the wire were twisted just right. The other day it finally gave out, and I need a new one. I checked that it wasn't my battery or the power cord. It is definitely the adapter (wiring) itself. I have the 3-year premium warranty, and I got my laptop and charger last August (<1 year ago). I believe based on past forum posts that Dell should cover my new charger, but I can't seem to get any straight answers after calling 2 or 3 times and using the chat.

I am currently taking a programming course, and while I can use a computer lab to do my work, all my previous files are on my laptop, which I can no longer charge and therefore cannot access the files.

Can an admin or someone who understands the warranty better explain if I can get a new one soon and through warranty? And if so, how?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If there's evident damage to the adapter (broken wires or insulation) they may well tell you it's considered accidental damage - you can only try;  call your local Dell service number.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Post the model computer. You should have contacted Support when you first had the problem. Batteries and adapters are not always covered even in the first year since they wear out from use. Adapters and power cords are consider a single part. Go to the Support web site to start the support process and see if you are covered.

Here's how to test-- http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN128918

2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 22:00

Hi ALEXIS B,

What is the exact system model? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Does the system turn on or is there no battery power? Could you test with another power adapter if possible?

If the system turns on,

Try to Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1n3X2po - enter the service tag and download the BIOS, update and restart the machine and check.

Then restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS and check the adapter status in BIOS with the adapter connected / disconnected. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable). Also, with the adapter connected to the system, wiggle the adapter jack at the end and check if the adapter status changes at any point in BIOS.

Also, Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

If the system does not power on, then Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone#, Address and Email) for case records and based on the warranty, I can help book a service call if required.

Keep us updated.

2 Posts

June 29th, 2016 13:00

Thank you for your advice @ejn63! I'm still trying to work with Dell on this(thanks to @Dell-Rishi), but my parents were kind enough to go ahead and get me a new charger so I can get my work done in the meantime.

No Events found!