Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 10th, 2016 19:00

CPU Upgrade

I have a 6 year old Dell laptop-  Inspiron 15 N5030 that has a slow Celeron 2.2 ghz- 800 Mhz 1 mb.  that I would like to upgrade to something faster.  I can do the job myself as I have repaired many but not sure if this is possible ? on this dell.

I  replaced the defective hard drive with a solid state a few weeks ago and never could the network drivers for windows 7 to work so being I had the DVD upgrade for windows 10 I used it and it loaded the MS wired and wireless drivers

.I never got the Dell recovery disk so I used a windows 7 home DVD  I had and used my product ID and it worked except for the errors in device manager relating to network. 

Windows 10 took care of that problem but it is slower than windows 7.    I have 6 gigs of ram installed so it should be much faster with a better CPU ? if that option is available. 

I would put windows 7 back on it if I could find those two drivers but I used everyone on Dells site for this service tag and they would not work ?  I have upgraded several desktops over the years with faster CPU's just never a laptop.  Any tips of which one would work if  that is possible ?

If this is not possible could someone please tell me where I can get the network drivers for this N5030 ?  The ones here will not work as I spent several hours trying.  Thanks for any help on this.  I do like windows 10 but this CPU just is not powerful enough to drive this laptop.  Tom

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 03:00

There is a set of chipset drivers and system software (under system utilities) that need to be loaded before the network drivers will load.  While there's only one wired network driver, there are many possibilities for the wireless card - you must identify your card (either through the "original configuration" list or visually) before loading the wireless driver.  Do not simply load drivers until one works - this will create a set of conflicts that can prevent any drivers from properly loading.

The manual installation of WIndows 7 is detailed here

www.dell.com/.../en

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Most of the problem with WIndows 10 is with the GPU, not the CPU -- and that's the one part you can't upgrade.

You may need to replace your wireless card if there are no Windows 10 drivers for the current one.  If you're looking for drivers, we'll need to know which card you have (i.e., DW1501, etc.).

While you can replace the CPU on this model, it may ultimately be a better idea to upgrade to a newer, faster system.  You can use a faster Pentium Dual Core or a Core 2 Duo (but not the Core i or CPUs related to it).

214 Posts

If you go back and read my post you will see I stated that windows 10 took care of the wireless problems when I upgraded from windows 7.  I just could never get the wireless or wired network card to work with windows 7.  

I tried all the drivers on Dell's site referring to my system and still none would work.  

I will try and find a Core Duo CPU to install on this system.

I also continue to  see if i can find the correct wireless drivers for the windows 7 operating system. I just want a computer around with windows 7 on it anyway as I have one program I use that will not run on windows 10 and to be honest windows 7 is much better to me.

I have extra computers so I see no way that I am going to buy a new laptop.

I built a desktop in July with the i7 that will fly and that is what I use most of the time.  I just need this laptop on occasion .  Thanks

214 Posts

December 11th, 2016 12:00

I thought I had ordered the restore USB disk but could never find it.  6 years is a long time ago for me and it just slipped my old mind.  Today I found it.  Got windows 7 back on there and of course all drivers were loaded being this was the original recovery USB stick.

Now to maybe upgrade to the core Duo.   I like to tweak things and see no need to buy a $600 laptop when the one I have is working fine

. Also would like to add when I had installed windows 7 before from DVD the first thing I did and always do when loading windows is download the chipset drivers. I have loaded hundreds of operating systems but this one was stubborn  I still could not get the wireless device to work but now all is good since I used the recovery .  I will look on ebay and see about buying the faster CPU.  Thanks.  Tom

No Events found!