Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2014 23:00

CPU replace

I have an inspiron 3521 laptop with intel core i5 3337U cpu. I'd like to upgrade my cpu either to a higher speed dual core or quad core.
First question, can I replace my cpu? 

Second question, witch of the upgrades I've mentioned is better?

Third question, if the replacement is feasible what cpu can I use?

November 13th, 2014 01:00

Hi Kyriazis,

Welcome to Dell community.

You cannot replace or upgrade the CPU in this system - it's a BGA (ball-grid array) CPU, meaning it is permanently soldered to the system board.

If the CPU fails, the mainboard must be replaced along with the CPU - the CPU isn't removeable.

There are two different BGA designs - 1023 and 1224 (the latter used by many i5s) - so you won't be swapping processors easily.

If you have any query feel free to reach out to us.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2014 01:00

And if i want to replace both mainboard and cpu I can put every model I want?

November 13th, 2014 02:00

Hi Kyriazis,

I doubt it, laptops are made specifically for one type of shell. If the shell are exactly the same on Inspiron 3521 i3 and Inspiron 3521 i5  and the specs except that the first one is i3 and the second one is i5. The shell and and every other thing is the same except the processor on the motherboard

The CPU is a PGA model and you can take it out from the socket and replace it with an i5 3337u. Make sure to uninstall the processors from device manager and click on update to indicate the correct CPU installed. Also update the BIOS to the latest version. You can also perform some tests to see where the performance stands.

Hope this answers your question.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 13th, 2014 03:00

As noted in the earlier post, the CPU is not PGA in this model - it's BGA.  It is soldered to the system board.  The only way to upgrade is to replace BOTH the CPU and the mainboard - and ONLY a board from a 3521 or 5521 model will fit - nothing else will fit the chassis.

No Events found!