Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2015 08:00

CPU throttle stuck

Since I own my Latitude E7440, I am encountering the following problem:

The i5-4310U processor is supposed to throttle from 800 to 2600mhz based on demand.
However, it seems stuck at 800mhz after sleep when running on battery power.

This results in 100% cpu usage and slow performance. Reboot fixes the problem -until next wake-up.

I hope someone can help me find a solution to this problem.
As a temporary solution I am controlling the cpu speed manually with a tool called ThrottleStop.

Any (potential) solution or explanation is welcome.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2016 04:00

This problem was resolved by replacing the motherboard.

October 16th, 2015 08:00

when you go into your Power Options (found within Control Panel), what is the selected Power Plan?  If it is balance, try changing it to High Performance and the reboot.  After the reboot allow your system to enter sleep mode and see if the problem returns.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for your reply. I use [balanced] always. I just tried what you suggested and it worked.
Then I tried to switch back to balanced -reboot -sleep, and the problem reoccurred.
Then I tried to switch to High Performance -reboot -sleep and it didn't work this time (still stuck).
Tried it a couple of times, but still stuck.

I tried exactly this a couple of months ago, thought I fixed it, but apparently not, so I switched back to balanced. But it has to work right?

It is probably unrelated but there is a beeping sound (electric but like an old hdd) coming out of my notebook.

No Events found!