Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

February 18th, 2017 02:00

Can primary batteries of the same specs for the same laptop model come in different shapes?

I bought a Dell Studio XPS 1647 in January 2011 from Singapore. After 06 years of use, the primary battery has reached the end of its life. However, when I went online to purchase a replacement, I learned that this laptop model had so many issues that Dell finally had to make it obsolete. Needless to say, procuring the replacement battery has not worked out so far.

Singapore no longer has the primary battery available. It's a 6-Cell (56 WHr) Li-Ion Primary Battery, so I went to search for the same for my laptop model in the overall Dell website, mainly US. I found numerous batteries with the same specs compatible with my model but funnily the battery images do not even remotely match the battery that came with my laptop. In fact, these listed batteries do not even match each other by their images.

Is it possible to have different molds for the same spec primary battery for the same laptop model when the laptop is purchased in a different country??

Will appreciate any enlightenment on the subject. TIA!

2 Posts

February 18th, 2017 04:00

Hi, thanks for answering. I searched for the 6-cell battery obviously since that's what my laptop came with. Found a few listings that claimed to be compatible but, like I said, didn't look like they would fit my laptop when I enlarged the corresponding images.

I searched for the batteries only on Dell website so am not sure what you meant by "company with a good track record". I have guessed already that the parts available on the site might be mixed in with third-party manufacturer parts but how would I be able to verify their track record? I do not see section on the listings to determine this other than star ratings, which were all without any stars.

With regards to having problems or not, the Dell Studio XPS 16 series had problems, it appears from research, from the very beginning related to power supply. Namely with throttling, heat dissipation, and the likes. Although that is neither here nor there when it comes to resolving my battery issue. Since Dell USA does not ship overseas and I have been unable to procure the battery locally, I am mostly relying on the last chance to having a relative bring in the battery for me. But if I am to make the investment, I need to first know if the compatible battery would actually fit my laptop.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 18th, 2017 04:00

There are both 6- and 9-cell batteries -- the latter are larger and extend beyond the back of the system.  Third party manufacturer batteries range from excellent to junk -- buy from a company with a good track record and you should have no problems.

ALL manufacturers have 6-12  month lifespans for notebook models, and they all support them for about 3 years before discontinuing the supply of parts.  That's a normal lifecycle in the notebook industry.  It has nothing to do with "problems" with the model.

No Events found!