Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2010 08:00

Can someone please stop my run around?? Fried hard drives...

Hi there!

I'm wondering if someone can help me. My hard drive fried out at the beginning of March. Got a new one under warranty and it fried this week (25 days later)... Dell is sending another new one to me. I've now spent $166 to renew my warranty because I think I now have a lemon.

How long will we keep sending parts back and forth? Will they just fix the problem? I've read on several forums computers coming back cracked and not well cared for while out for service. Or it taking forever to come back. Will these things happen to me?

My original hard drive got thrown away by the installer and now Dell wants me to pay for replacement part. One rep said I should have read my warranty manual, while I asked why wouldn't the tech person just tell me?? After all my calls, an operator said that she would talk to her supervisor about my situation to see if in this instance my paying for the part could be waived - of course I've heard nothing back. I also have not heard back as to what the part even costs (aka how much has a simple hard drive been marked up).

I've asked all customer reps to really weigh the cost of waiving a hard drive fee vs. my never ordering Dell again and making sure NO ONE around me does either. Of course, no response.

Does anyone care to help me?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2010 09:00

What model is this?  How did the hard drive fail?  Who did the installation after the first failure?

May 1st, 2010 11:00

I have an Inspiron 1750 bought in July of 2009. I don't know how the hard drive failed or why it failed again 3 weeks later - Dell seems to think repeatedly replacing the hard drive is the answer...

Where I work has a A+/Net+ Certification school and they work on computers there. I, of course, did not instruct them to save the original because I didn't know... I am scheduled to speak there this week and have already outlined this entire experience in my speech... I may have to pay for this hard drive, but in the end I will make sure I cost Dell more in lost business.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2010 12:00

You can voice whatever opinion you choose, of course - but you're dead wrong here.  There's no way anyone could think Dell would ship a drive without expecting the faulty one back - the instructions in the package with the drive and the warranty statement are very clear.

This isn't a Dell problem.  It's a user failure to cooperate problem.

May 1st, 2010 13:00

Wow - super perceptive aren't you? Obviously reading between lines isn't one of your strengths... I'll be super explicit and use small words so that you can get it (let me guess, your male?):

Perhaps I'm frustrated with the 3 days of calling to see what exactly I owe

Or maybe it's with the dozens of transfers to see if my HT people can vouch for me

Or even the fact that it's taken over 200 cell minutes of holding, talking to foreigners, etc

Could it even have been that both times I called to return my product, no one mentioned (in broken English) that I was to return anything? Since I didn't reference the website, I was counting on the tech reps to fill me in.

I bet my frustration might even stem from the fact that the hard drive has blown twice in 3 weeks...

**Try to read closely; the title was "help me stop my run around." You, obviously, were of no help. Suggestions for response include: why hard drive might be frying, how much the original would cost to replace, how to get to an American to talk to me, etc

Better luck next time!

Angelina

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2010 13:00

Adjust your attitude and you might be able to solve the problem.  Right now, that IS the problem, ma'am (or sir).

No Events found!