Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2011 23:00

Can't access internet via hardwire after reformat/reinstall of windows xp on inspiron 1100

I'm trying to resurrect a computer for a fixed income, retired, friend.  I reformatted her Inspiron 1100 and reinstalled windows.  I installed all the drivers and everything looks ok in the device manager (other than the PCI modem....).  I could get on the internet via ethernet cable prior to the install, but currently, the computer tells me that "the network cable is unplugged".  I've installed dthe latest Broadcom 440x 10/100 .... driver  v. 3.51.0.0.  I've switched out cables and restarted my router and modem.  I even tried to connect it directly to the modem.  Any ideas?  I am able to access internet wirelessly... but she wants to use the cable for security.

Thanks!

2.9K Posts

May 17th, 2011 04:00

LSKEENAN,

1. Check both ends of the Ethernet cable to be sure it's seating correctly.  Use the original cable that worked.

2. Disable the wireless adapter.

3. Change the Link Speed Settings of the network adapter in Device Manager from Auto Detect to 10Mbps full duplex or 100Mbps full duplex..

4. If you're connecting the Ethernet cable to the router, try a different port.  It may be the problem.

5. Power off the cable or DSL modem for 3-5 minutes.  Power off the router.  Power on the modem.  Wait for it to come Ready.  Power on the router.  Then power on the laptop.

Let us know how you fare.

18 Posts

May 17th, 2011 22:00

Terrific!  That got it.  Thanks so much.

2.9K Posts

May 18th, 2011 05:00

LSKEENAN,

Great!  Glad you got it fixed.  Thanks for posting back.  It helps everyone reading these posts.  I followed my own advice yesterday.  Customer had the exact same problem after an electrical storm.  Time-Warner replaced his modem.  The router was working wirelessly, but the PC connected to one of the router's 4 Ethernet ports was reporting "cable unplugged".  Sure enough, I moved the cable to another port, reset everything, and Internet connectivity was restored.

Good Luck!

Tony

No Events found!